Kowaliga Dive Report 8/12/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Uncle Ricky, Lulu, and me left early yesterday morning to take advantage of local diving. After the obligatory sausage biscuit at Hardees, we continued north to the haunting call of the old bridge and of the ghost fleet.

Lulu forgot her boots so we went to the marina and the only thing that she could find were some Crocs. She had always wanted a pair anyway so she got some baby blue ones. Lulu wants everyone to know that Crocs make a fine pair of dive boots.

Ricky brought his camera so the first thing we wanted to do was visit the secret portion of the ghost fleet so he could get some shots. The lake is at an aggravating phase right now. The thermocline is right at 25 feet. Most of the stuff that we want to see is around 25 feet so we were in and out of the cooler water. No chance to really get used to it. The thermocline also traps silt so the bad visibility zone is right where we want to look at stuff.

There is that secret place far out where it gets shallow again and we looked around for a while in good visibility and warm water. We found a frying pan, boiler, and coffee cup all stacked on top of each other. Ricky saw a fresh water jellyfish.

I found a piece of dive gear that some previous visitor to the bridge had dropped. If anyone can describe it to me they can have it back for the reward of an ice cold Corona with lime for all three of us.

We returned on the top of the structure. This is the first time that we have stayed on the concrete for a long time and it proved to be interesting. We saw some mondo large mouth bass. We looked around the Christmas trees for a long time and saw thousands of fingerlings and a few interesting bottles but no keepers. Found one coke bottle from Demopolis.

We explored the ghost fleet that is trapped underneath the bridge railings. Lulu had never seen these boats before.

After 65 minutes we swung around the rock pile and made our exit. We found a nice canvas bag that a boat cover should have been in. Ricky kept it for a sleeping bag or tent.

All-in-all a wonderful and exciting morning for three friends seeking fun and relaxation. And best of all Bugman, it was free.

Yea, I think that was my, eh...Dive knife.....No, Computer....No wait, eh , my glove..Yea, that's the ticket my glove.....that you found. No, wait, I have never been diving in Lake Martin. Never mind...Sounds like you folks had fun. I had no idea Lake Martin was a good dive site.

Mike

Not a very good shot, but here's the fresh water jelly & a bream.
fwj_0608lm.jpg

(Craspedacusta sowerbii - not a true jelly but a hydroid medusa)

Rick

Great shot of the jelly, very small little creatures and hard to get a good focus on em!

I'm headed over that way this weekend (finally) for the first time since last football season. I'm not sure I'll have any time to dive, but if you're planning on being out there on Saturday, let me know. We're staying with some friends over on the Dadeville side of the lake. I'll have to talk to "the boss" about saving some room in the van for dive gear. With two boys (3yrs and 10mos), it gets full quick! If I don't work it out for this weekend, we'll be back over Labor Day.

WarEagle:
I'm headed over that way this weekend (finally) for the first time since last football season. I'm not sure I'll have any time to dive, but if you're planning on being out there on Saturday, let me know. We're staying with some friends over on the Dadeville side of the lake. I'll have to talk to "the boss" about saving some room in the van for dive gear. With two boys (3yrs and 10mos), it gets full quick! If I don't work it out for this weekend, we'll be back over Labor Day.
We'll miss you... we'll be on the O-Boat. (I know, it's tough duty but somebody's gotta do it :) )
Labor day weekend might work, though the vis will likely be extra low as the propwash from a zillion boats will have things stirred up pretty well.
Rick

The shot of the jelly is acutally outstanding. The difficulty in getting in-focus jellies is astronomical in clear water, much less lake water. Great job Ricky!

Back
Top Bottom