Kota Kinabalu or Mactan? Or somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir

The Voice of Reason
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know it's a shame to fly to KK without continuing to Sipadan or Layang-layang--please don't rub it in. I have a four-day weekend (in September) that, in the interest of fairness and domestic tranquility, will be devoted to my fiancee's wants, rather than mine. For a change. She wants a direct flight, and a short ride from the airport to a five-star resort. She wants a beach, she wants a pool, she wants a spa. Our first choice was Phuket, since we have friends there, but the flights are fully booked. Bali is still a possibility, but the short ride from the airport means I'm pretty far from diving. Last time we did this I commuted from the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay to Lembongan to squeeze in dives, but I was gone all day. Which brings me to another of her wants--my company, most of the time. (I can't figure out why either. :idk:)

The Mactan Shangri-la worked pretty well last time--I squeezed in a couple of dives each day while she got massaged, manicured, or otherwise spa-ed, and we still managed time together. But the diving was not that exciting. It beats not diving, so I am considering going back, but I'm open to other options, within these constraints. Can anybody compare diving in KK to the diving on Mactan? Does anybody have a better idea?

There is some good muck diving if yo uare into macro photography around KK, Borneo Divers recommended too

I usually dive a couple of days around KK each year. It sure beats the hell out of not diving. However, it is shallow, usually pretty limited viz, and seldom anything large. But, given your other constraints, KK will more than likely be just fine. There are some great resorts and KK in itself is not to bad. And, to qualify it, I will surely keep on the couple of dive days a year in KK.

Quite fair diving in KK bay, some interesting nudis there, macro lens should be out, though I also came across a zebra shark , a blacktip and some turtles sometimes. I had been very disappointed from the dives off Mactan too (and also the price of diving at Divescotty's when you say you're lodging at the Shangri La!!!).

If you're looking for a nice accomodation in KK, I would bet on the Shangri La Tanjung Aru which is by far the best resort on Borneo, though 10 minutes taxi ride out of downtown KK.

Bali would have been far better diving though, can't you find yourself a 5 star resort near Candi Dasa? Otherwise I am sure the Matahari resort in Pemuteran could provide the necessary luxury, though it's a good 3 hours drive from the airport.
Phuket day diving would leave you out for the full day too.

Vladimir, 5Star in Nusa Dua. From there via Sanur to Nusa Penida/ Lembongan for world class diving. Can be done in half a day. If you are lucky you may get to see molas and mantas.

Vladimir, 5Star in Nusa Dua. From there via Sanur to Nusa Penida/ Lembongan for world class diving. Can be done in half a day. If you are lucky you may get to see molas and mantas.
I don't think so. Nusa Dua is no better than Jimbaran Bay in terms of convenience to the ferry at Sanur. Last time I did it I hit my connections pretty well, but there is always some wasted time. I was waiting for pickup at my hotel at 8:00, if I recall correctly, and didn't get back until 5:00 or so. For two dives and a one-hour surface interval.

I have been to Bali probably a dozen times, but most of my dives have been up north. So far I have had no luck seeing molas, but have enjoyed my dives around Penida anyway--mantas on a few occasions and other pelagics as well.

If you're looking for a nice accomodation in KK, I would bet on the Shangri La Tanjung Aru which is by far the best resort on Borneo, though 10 minutes taxi ride out of downtown KK.
Thanks, I have stayed there, but quite a long time ago. Good to hear it's still recommended.

Bali would have been far better diving though, can't you find yourself a 5 star resort near Candi Dasa? Otherwise I am sure the Matahari resort in Pemuteran could provide the necessary luxury, though it's a good 3 hours drive from the airport.
The drive from the airport is the problem. After a 5-hour flight and a holiday-weekend queue at immigration, my fiancee is in no mood to sit in a car for three hours--not for a four-day weekend. I know she sounds like a bit of a princess, but in truth, she's perfectly happy to stay home for the weekend; she just thinks these hectic weekends of mine are more trouble and expense than they're worth.

Phuket day diving would leave you out for the full day too.
Yes, but we have friends there, so she wouldn't be alone all day.

Thanks for your thoughts, Luko.

September--you could go to Tioman in Malaysia, or better, go to this hotel:
Tonjong Jara
and do morning dives with the afternoons free to spend with your sweetie.
There are two little problems--you will need to get an Air Asia flight from KUL to Kuala Terengganu, so it's not a direct flight, and secondly, it's about an hour drive from Kuala Terengganu to the hotel. One other thing is that the dive op is not my favorite since they don't have enough staff to really divide dive groups up well, but the boat is good and the dive sites are nice. Your fiancee will love the place, though.

Thanks, Quero; you have a cyclopedic knowledge of the region. I sent that link to my fiancee. It reminds me of the Datai, in Langkawi, which we both enjoyed.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom