Kootenay Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nadwidny

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone done any dives for china, bottles etc in Kootenay Lake and area? We are here trying to find artifacts for the Moyie museum in Kaslo and we are not having luck in finding stuff for the fine people there. The museum is especially interested in finding CPR china for their exhibit. So far we've tried a site in Harrop, the old Mirror Lake boatyard, and off of the public beach in Kaslo but we haven't found anything worth bringing up. I had some good luck find bottles off Shutty Beach in August but we've been shut out so far this trip.

Has anybody done anything around Lardeau? Or would we have better luck looking around Nelson or maybe the Slocan (New Denver, etc).? We are going to be doing some deep (250ish) dives off Ainsworth on Sunday to see what that may bring up.

Thanks in advance.

Just got back from my long weekend in Ainsworth. Despite getting suggestions from John Pollack of the UASBC, who we ran into in Kaslo, we didn't find much in the way of china and bottles. But the search and checking out new dives sites was still fun.

We did do 2 dives on the former BC Ferry "Anscomb" at Woodbury Marina. This is a very cool dive and worth the road trip. This wreck was as fun as anything I've done on the artificial reefs.

No china or bottles on the ferry? How deep is it?

No china or bottles on the ferry? How deep is it?

The ferry was decommissioned from the BC Ferry fleet so it was cleaned of all those kinds of things before it sunk. Lots of lifejackets floating around inside and the bridge area makes for great pictures or video with the wheel, telegraph, etc.. Rumour has it that there are bales of marijuana on board but I think it's just another tall tale.

Stern is at 160, wheelhouse at 110'. That can vary depending on the lake level. This is a great dive for technical divers. Single tank recreational types would probably enjoy it but it is deep and they would have to be disciplined enough to stay the hell out of the overhead areas. Same goes for tech types who aren't cave or overhead wreck trained.

Of course we all know that eventually some numpty will figure that the rules don't apply to them and they'll go inside, get lost, and die.

Rumour has it that there are bales of marijuana on board but I think it's just another tall tale.

Good enough rumour for me, I need to load up the truck for a week-end of exploration to find the missing bales:cool2: I saw the pictures that John took on Greg website looks like it would be a lot of fun to dive.

Al

It is a ton of fun. I can't wait to go back.

As for the mary jane; inside one of the windows in an area we couldn't access, I saw a cooler floating on the ceiling. Now if I were to keep a bunch of smoke-dope on a boat, a cooler might be a good place to store it.:cool2:

The ferry was decommissioned from the BC Ferry fleet .. Rumour has it that there are bales of marijuana on board .

Well that makes perfect sense then:D

Back
Top Bottom