Kona water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rambo2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new OWD and will be spending several weeks in Kona in Nov.:banana:. I am sure that on more than one occasion I will do at least 3 dives a day starting with a 20 min at 80' or something like that and than several shallow dives. This is enough to make me want to get a wetsuit. What is the right weight? 5/4? 7? What are the water temps in Nov? Thanks.

The answer to "the right weight" is: nobody knows.

My google-fu reveals that water temps off Kona in November average 78.6F, with air temps in the low-mid 80's. For me, that'd be a dive skin. Or shorts and a t-shirt. That's 2-4 dives per day, with bottom times of limited by NDL. For my dive buddies, Sue would wear a 3ml and Kim would wear a 6. And they'd both get cold when they got back on the boat.

You can guess by knowing how easily chilled you are. You can get closer by knowing how much neoprene you wear in similar conditions, but that requires experience. Which you don't have.

I think in those conditions most people would be happy with a 3ml. If you wear one and you're still cold, get a rental from the dive op and layer it over yours.

^^^^^^^^^^^
this^

Can't go wrong with 3mm fullsuit. Go up to 5/4 or 5mm if you dive slow, are easily chilled, or prefer more warmth. I go that time every year, and used a 3/2 until I got really old, when the 5/4 became preferable. I tend to dive slow for pics, and often stay down 90 min or more. The 3mm still works most of the time, but I only regret the 5/4 when it's a long trip from the car to the water.

Hi,

We just returned from the Big Island. All our dives were done in ca. 80 deg F water. Nov. might be a degree or two colder. In my youth I used a 3mm suit at such temps. In my dotage I use a 5mm suit. However, we dove with folks on this trip who were using 3mm shorties.

We have been diving the Big Island for 20-some years and have found that Fall water temps tend to be in the low 80's. So, I think the data above is fairly reliable.

Have fun!

joewr

Hi,

We just returned from the Big Island. All our dives were done in ca. 80 deg F water. Nov. might be a degree or two colder. In my youth I used a 3mm suit at such temps. In my dotage I use a 5mm suit. However, we dove with folks on this trip who were using 3mm shorties.

We have been diving the Big Island for 20-some years and have found that Fall water temps tend to be in the low 80's. So, I think the data above is fairly reliable.

Have fun!

joewr

I will be in Kona. Can you recommend any dive ops? Also have you ever been to Mauna Kea?

I will be in Kona. Can you recommend any dive ops? Also have you ever been to Mauna Kea?

Aloha!

Over the years we have dived with Jack's, Big Island, Sandwich Isle, and Pacific Rim. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I will not dwell on those because it will likely cause a flurry of discussion and might even lead to vituperation! At present we prefer Pacific Rim ( Welcome to Pacific Rim Divers, LTD ) due to the boat size (6 divers max) and the excellent operation. Patrice (the owner), Walt, and David are all excellent DMs and will lead a nice dive.

One of their "policies" is to use the "loose buddy" system. By that I mean that they get back close to the boat soon enough so that divers with shorter bottom times can re-board. Meanwhile those with longer bottom times can stay down with the DM for some nice exploration within sight of the boat--and easy swimming distance. Of course, the DM will stay down until the last diver ascends.

Yes, we have been up on Mauna Kea and it is worth the trip. If you go at night, you will likely see the most star-filled sky you have ever experienced. Now, a couple of words of warning: (1) think of a trip up the mountain/volcano as a flight--the elevation is almost 14,000 feet. Hence, you need to wait at least 12 hours post-diving before ascending; (2) in stark contrast to sea level Hawaii, Mauna Kea summit is cold! So, long pants and a jacket are very, very good ideas--we even change out our sandals for running shoes.

By-the-by, Mauna Kea is translated as "White Mountain"--it is snow covered at the top at times. But legend has it that Mauna Kea is a shortened version of Mauna a Wakea, meaning the "Mountain of Wakea". Wakea is the Sky Father.

I hope this helps,

joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom