Kona Ops Offering Night Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock2r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Returning to Kona area the last week of Feb. for a week. Any ops offering Night reef dives? Not looking for Manta then "we split from the campfire and poke around for 10 minutes", "twilight" or Blackwater, but a real reef night dive.
My usual op is BID but would like to change it up this trip, plus BID only does Night Reefs if there is advance interest, which there never has been during my particular visits.
Thanks in advance.

Jakes Diving Locker does the "Pelagic Magic" dive. you are teathered to the boat and drift over water thousands of feet deep. They have a description on their site. Helps you appreciate the worms point of view when fishing. The photos are amazing!

Check with Kona Diving Company, they used to advertise Saturday night reef dives, don't know if they're still doing it. I'll do night reef dives if I can get three or more divers, February may be tricky for us as I have one of my night crew heading to Thailand for a month... I'm looking to hire an extra body in the next two weeks though.

February is a bit tough to get specialty dives in because it's usually relatively slow for everyone, you mentioned the problem with "advance interest", it's even moreso in the slower periods, it's not just a problem with BID.

February is a bit tough to get specialty dives in because it's usually relatively slow for everyone, you mentioned the problem with "advance interest", it's even moreso in the slower periods, it's not just a problem with BID.

I am surprised to hear this; my understanding of historical visitor numbers is that Feb is a popular month for visitors with money / without children, so I have never considered Feb a slow month. :idk:

We've got lots of the retired older crowd here for winter, don't know how many of them are divers. Over the holidays we were seeing up to 16/17 boats out on the manta night dive, did a night dive the other day and there were 5/6 and some were lightly loaded. Maui might be a bit different than Kona maybe. Our busiest "seasons" are summer, Christmas and spring break. Some of the long established companies keep fairly busy year round, but I'm not seeing multiple boats from them as frequently as when it's busy.

Thanks Steve. It was my understanding that Kona Diving Co. was a "re-name" of Bottom Time. Based upon feedback over the last couple of years, probably wouldn't be my first choice of ops.

Returning to Kona area the last week of Feb. for a week. Any ops offering Night reef dives? Not looking for Manta then "we split from the campfire and poke around for 10 minutes", "twilight" or Blackwater, but a real reef night dive.
My usual op is BID but would like to change it up this trip, plus BID only does Night Reefs if there is advance interest, which there never has been during my particular visits.
Thanks in advance.

Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures in the Queens Marketplace. They love to do night reef dives. All they need are two people to go, and I'm on the list to call anytime they have one person that wants to go. We're going on Thursday. Send me a PM if you want a phone number or any other info!!

Yeah, the current owners bought Bottom Time and within months changed the name because they realized the old Bottom Time had an awful reputation of treating their customers poorly. They have since worked very hard to overcome this stigma. If you do a search for Kona Diving Company the reports are almost unanimously positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom