Kona Op for a Jr. OW diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We'll be heading to Kona in July to dive(duh!). Specifically to have my 10 yr old complete his checkout dives. I'm looking for suggestion for a trusted op for my son. Based on past reviews on SB, it seems like Big Island Divers, Kona Diving Company and Jack's seem to get the bulk of the raves. So, my question is, which of these would be best suited for a jr. ow diver-to-be as well as for the rest of us, to include my 8 yr old who will be limited to snorkeling with one of us? I am aware of the shore diving opportunities available so let's keep the replies to quality ops with good instructors for my son's checkout dives.

You could also look to Pacific Rim Divers. A very small outfit, but also providing excellent service. Of the three you mentioned I have used Big Island Divers and was quite pleased.

Friendly bump

All three you mentioned are good. Jack's does have a pool onsite they use for teaching. Where we got our certs. My daughter, now 14, has had several camps there and they let them try out scuba as part of the camps.

Well, we just had a monkey wrench thrown into our plans. I was just to told that the universal referral program isn't around anymore (???? Any thoughts or verification of this).

If that's so, we will be limited to a SSI op in Kona. A Padi OW course is available, but the scheduling doesn't work out. That being said, the only SSI shop in Kona is Kona Honu Divers according to the SSI site. Any opinions on this op?

PADI has strongly recommended against Padi instructors participating in universal referrals for a very long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom