Kona, May 27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deckman:
Nice video.
How many dives did you do to get all that footage? What shop did you dive with?

I did a total of 10 dives in a week. I have a longer version of that video, but made a shortened version for internet downloads.

I dove with Aloha Dive Company. Great 6 pack diver operator. Most of the time there were only 4 of us on the boat. They let you dive to your air or computer limits. There boat is much faster than other operators which allows them to go to remote sites on a regular basis that the ops don't go to. The footage with the dolphins and daytime manta rays was at a remote site.

Hi Deckman

My wife and I have been diving with Jack's for 2yrs. and have never had a bad experience. We did our OW and AOW with them and will be doing Rescue in Sept. The nightg Manta dive at Garden Eel Cove is not to be missed. There is a risk of high surf during the winter months, but you should have no problem in May. During a dive with Jack's in Feb this year we had 2 humpbacks breach within 25' of the dive boat during the morning dive and we danced with the Mantas that evening......just another perfect day in Kona! Please feel free to contact us for suggestions on how to spend your non-dive days (....yes there is such a thing) in Kona.

Have a great trip.

TP

deckman:
Hi,
I am going to Kona on the 27th of May. Can anyone recommend a good Dive Shop. I have seen the ones on the internet, just wondering if there are any hidden gems on the island.
Thanks

Don't forget to checkout the topside non diving activies. Great stuff you definitely don't want to miss.

Check the link below for topside pictures and video from my vacation there last year.

http://www.ronrosa.com/hawaii.htm

Ooooops......responded under my wife's login by mistake, I'm not really Sue's wife! Sorry 'bout that.

ronrosa:
Don't forget to checkout the topside non diving activies. Great stuff you definitely don't want to miss.

Check the link below for topside pictures and video from my vacation there last year.

http://www.ronrosa.com/hawaii.htm

Not everyone is fortunate enough to stay at the Waikaloa Hotel! (where alot of the pictures are from!) I've stayed there before on business and it's totally awesome.

But you're right, there are some great things on the Big Island. North Hawai'i / Hilo side has several great waterfalls and while on that side, be sure and visit the volcano. Just take shoes with sturdy soles that wont melt and a scarf to cover your throat/mouth! to avoid breathing problems. The volcano crater road is cool. South Hawai'i, around Captain Cook is also nice. If your family doesn't dive be sure and go to "Two-Step" or Place of Refuge to visit. It's a great snorkeling/diving location. The King Kamehameha Hotel has a really great luau if you want to do one, too.

Have a great visit! Aloha!

HIMSDT:
Not everyone is fortunate enough to stay at the Waikaloa Hotel! (where alot of the pictures are from!) I've stayed there before on business and it's totally awesome.

Yeah, I'm normally not a big resort kind of person, but everything was done tastefully without the glitz and gaudiness. We were really lucky in that we got a great rate of $135/night using Priceline.

I second the recommendation for Jack's Dive Locker - dove with them 4 days as a solo walkon and it was great

tedwhiteva:
I second the recommendation for Jack's Dive Locker - dove with them 4 days as a solo walkon and it was great

I will agree, Jacks offers either beginning or advanced dives and the staff is top notch. For a Manta Dive. Keller Laros really knows his stuff.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom