Kona Aggressor - June 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More Details As Follows:
Please reply to me directly at: QUEENNYAC@AOL.COM
Thanks - Rosemary

June 5 - 12, 2010 (Saturday to Saturday) on the Kona Aggressor
$500.00 per person deposit required
5 cabins (2 people) $2,635.00 per person - Deluxe Room
1 cabin (4 people) $2,435.00 per person - Quad Room (I HAVE AT LEAST 2 FEMALES ALREADY BOOKED FOR THIS ROOM)
Anyone 65 or older gets a $100.00 credit (NEED PROOF WHEN YOU SEND YOUR DEPOSIT)
Military personnel - pay 10% off the price, so that's less $263.50 per person (NEED PROOF WHEN YOU SEND YOUR DEPOSIT) - OR NON-DIVER IS A $200.00 DISCOUNT!!! - ONE OR THE OTHER, NOT BOTH!!!!!!!
$100.00 discount for Airline Pilots and Flight Attendants (ID REQUIRED WHEN YOU SEND YOUR DEPOSIT)
$100.00 discount for Law Enforcement, Firefighters, EMD (ID REQUIRED WHEN YOU SEND YOUR DEPOSIT)
PLUS - AN ADDITIONAL REBATE OF ALMOST $200.00 PER PERSON IF I SELL ALL THE SPOTS!!!!

(Please see Don Wilson's e-mail below - sounds fantastic!!!!!!!!!!)

FROM DON WILSON:
Around 1/3 of my dives are along the Kona coast, and over the many years I've been going out there, I've become very familiar with the area. One reason for my many trips to the Big Island is that one of the world's major astronomical observatories is there, the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope. In fact, a number of years ago I got the contract to make the imaging lenses which were used to photograph the planet Uranus, not in reflected sunlight, but in its emitted heat infrared; this had never been done before.
So...what does this have to do with a bunch of scuba divers? Well, for those of you who might be interested, I plan to arrange a guided tour through the telescope. Mauna Kea, on which many international observatories are situated, is just under 14,000 feet high.
I suggest we do the trip to the telescope before we go diving, rather than after. As we know, after a week of diving, we should not fly for 24 hours. OK, but the interior of airliners is held at 8,000 feet pressure, and we will be going to 14,000 feet. So, let's go before diving.
We will need a 4-wheel drive van, maybe 2, depending on how many go. 4-wheels? Yes, and you will understand why when we are on the final mile of the road.
At the 6,000 foot level, we will stop at the dormitory and supply center where we will be issued parkas. Parkas? In June? In Hawaii? Yes. On my first visit to CFHT it was 27 degrees, the wind was 14 knots, and ice sickles were falling from the roof. And the sun was shining, the sky cloudless. So, we need parkas.
This will take up the good part of a day. The trip up will take around 2 hours. We'll stay for an hour. Then the 2 hour trip back down. We will originate and end at the airport, because that's where the car rentals are.
Check out Canada France Hawaii Telescope
VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK
This we can certainly do after diving, although it's at 4,000 feet, so we should wait overnight. Also, a warm jacket is advised. This is more than a whole day; it is at least 2-1/2 hours to get there. You will stay as long as you want, but the highlight is after dark when the red lava flows are plainly visible. Take your flashlight, because it's a good quarter mile across the lava field back to you car. Then there's the 2-1/2 hour drive back to your hotel.
Do a Google on Kilauea Volcano.
Regards
Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom