Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Big Fish,
with no big fish, I meam you dont see lots of sharks. Sometimes we got guests they only ask for sharks, and I have to turn around and say the biggest sharks here are grey reefs on one or two dive sites.

Hi Big Fish,
with no big fish, I meam you dont see lots of sharks. the biggest sharks here are grey reefs on one or two dive sites.

oh right. That wasn't my experience, i didnt see a single grey haha. i did see quite alot of nice big healthy white tips on a number of dive sites though.

Komodo Liveaboard cruise gives snorkelers and divers alike the ability to explore some of the most pristine and diverse marine habitats on this planet, while cruising right in the Komodo Marine National Park. The level of comfort, length of trip, and price can vary greatly depending on the Liveaboards. Give Dewi a call she handles all very professionally he number and Skype is on the website

Safe Diving

I intend to start my long term holidays from Bali, after arriving at the Dempasar airport, where would u recommend me to go first, i'll be travelling on budget for 3 - 4 months within Indonesia.
I also plan to go and dive in komodo, is it so that u can only do liveboards over there or there are budget accommodations from where u can go and dive ?
As I don't know when exactly I will go and dive in komodo between beginning of april and mid of june or july, what is the temperature of water during these months ? Need to know if I need to bring my semi-dry 5mm or not. I am not that cold usually but are there places where it could be more chilly than others in this period of the year ?

Thanks for the infos !

I just returned from 4 months in Komodo, the diving is great. I have been working on a LOB (dont tell the name here, only if asked). There are quiet a few boats out there, some leaving from Bali, other ones from Flores. Our port of departure was Bima, just a 45 min flights from Bali and that ensures you that you dont have long overnight travels and dont spend 3 days traveling to Komodo. Keep in mind Komodo is not for "big fish", even thought we had lots of mantas this year, its more for the variety of fish, nudi branches and critters. We did a few muck dives, some with currents and other more leisurely.
After your lob you could spend time in Bali diving( i would go to Tulamben). Denpasar or Kuta are far to busy or you could go to Lombok and chill out or do some world class surfing.
If you nedd some more detailed infos please feel free to pm me.

Last edited:
you can do land based diving to some of the dive sites around komodo but i think some of the sites are a bit to far out for land based. im not sure how cheap the resorts are im sure someone will chip in with advice.
grand komodo do a liveaboard with return flights from bali for $1500 approx.

also, for me a 5mm and a hood is a must for the southern islands

I might be in end of april or in may in komodo, can u tell me the temperature of the water please, so I can decide if I take my 5mm shorty or 5mm semi dry wet diving suit ?

I would add on a trip up to Ubud. Check out the Tegal Sari. We had a room right on the rice paddies next to the pool. We enjoyed massages for GREAT prices and the prices of the rooms are very low and they come with breakfast. They had a car that took us to town and we walked back shopping along the way. Go to the monkey forest but be careful!!! Those monkeys are brutal!!! We also climbed a volcano and it was great fun! Komodo was awesome!

Tegal Sari has done away with the included breakfast ... but it still is a great place to stay at a great price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom