Komodo, Raja or Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raja is obviously world class, but comes at a price to both finances and time, and if you have only 10days for diving maybe its a bit far to get too and not enough time there to warrant the costs?? I agree sipidan/mabul/kapalai is excellent and one of my fave places as you get a mix of big and small stuff, and is certainly cheaper. Why not try the phillipines as a base. They have excellent places to dive including peurta gallera/anilao for macro and excellent for photography, and is only 2hrs flight from palau where you get the mega fauna. Best of both worlds and philippines has some world class diving spots, liveaboard or land. Plus its way cheaper! I know diversity peaks around PNG so PNG/raja is probably where the best corals, macro etc... can be found, but friends say limited for bigger things except 'maybe' a manta and white tip? komodo i hear is a mixture but i guess if you want to go that far then probably better go bit further to raja. But palau my dive buddies say is there best diving, with some good macro as well as lots of pelagics incl shakrs/mantas. But your choices are all world class!

I dive Raja Ampat and Palau yearly.....Although the diving is different....I would have to vote for Both!.....My deciding factor would be the time of the year!

Hello Travelnsj!

If you had to choose between Palau or RA in late June/early July, which would you fancy?

thanks!
Shivaya

Hello Travelnsj!

If you had to choose between Palau or RA in late June/early July, which would you fancy?

thanks!
Shivaya

Hmmmm...that is a tough one...Only been in Indonesia Sept thru January months....Palau January through March months. Palau the weather usually starts to change to bad (from what I have been told by people who live there) in Mid July. Plus I've know a few people who have gotten sweet deals on the Aggressor in late July and August and could not get out of the harbor.....I have asked people (even friends) about the weather in Raja year around. They always say it is great....but of course they are selling something....

So my suggestion if late June Palau! For Raja look up some people on this board like Wayan who has run LOB's through out Indo and ask his opinion...wish I could be more help!

Scuba E,

I have been to all three of the destinations that you are considering and like many others, my vote would be Raja Ampat (RA) on a liveaboard (the Paradise Dancer is an excellent choice; others in the same category would be Damai, Arenui, Seven Seas and Archipelago Explorer).

In terms of timing, conditions are best in Palau and RA in the spring, from, say, February to early May. Another good time of year to go would be in the autumn from mid-September to mid-November. You will note that because of the weather many of the boats that operate in RA, move to other locations (eg Komodo) from May - September.

If you choose Palau, which certainly offers larger pelagics than RA, you really need to be on a liveaboard if you want to try and do four dives a day. In this regard, I would suggest that you look at the Ocean Hunter.

Enjoy,

Jason

scuba e,

Palau should be good in June as I said mid July is when the weather starts to turn and I would not go until after mid Oct. I always go in the spring as I can get seasick so I like flat waters and it generally is. If you want more than 3 dives a day a LOB is the only way to go....I do land based and usually do get in 3 dives a day and can do the dock at the back of Sams if I want to do a 4th dive.

Raja, only been there in the fall and the weather has usually been great and they say it is good year around as it is at the equator. I would assume the spring to be great. I have seen almost as much big stuff in Raja (Papua area) as Palau except sharks...they were once upon a time finned in Raja but the last couple of years I am seeing more sharks. Raja does not have the vis Palau does but the Bio-Diversity is uncomparable!....how many places can you see large schools of Bump-head Parrot fish, sharks, rays and see a Pygmy sea horse on the same dive? and you can do 3 to 5 dives a day at Sorido or Kri resorts.

Cannot go wrong with either....but if it is June and Palau is closer....Palau!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom