Komodo liveaboard - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClairevL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We did a 7 day liveaboard with Dive Komodo a couple of weeks ago and it was such a wonderful trip! Dive Komodo is not one of the big liveaboard companies, and I think they are mostly known for day trips. However, the also have excellent liveaboards. The main differences between Dive Komodo and the more well-known liveaboard companies seem to me:
- the price: We paid about 1400 USD each for 7 days, 25 dives
- the number of divers: the boat is smaller and has a maximum of 8 guests
- the boat: the boat is not as fancy as some of the bigger liveaboard boats. It has private cabins, but shared toilets and showers.

- The itinerary is not fixed. This can either be a pro or a con. We stayed 7 days, but other guests stayed shorter, so new people came on board during the trip and therefore it was harder to move out to the extreme corners of the national park. New guests were brought in by a different boat, so we didn't have to go back to the harbour. An advantage of this flexible itinerary was that the dive guides really took into account our wishes regarding the dive sites. The fact that there was only a small group of divers also made this easier.

The dive guides were great. They have a lot of dive experience in Komodo and know everything about the dive sites. They gave excellent briefings before the dives and after the dives they were always enthusiastic about helping you to identify fish. Furthermore, they were great at finding stuff, both big stuff and macro. Also, both the guides were so much fun to hang out with!

The dive sites were amazing! The coral was incredibly beautiful, there was so much fish around and we saw a lot of mantas and reef sharks. Currents were very strong at some sites, which could be a thrilling experience in itself. At one site we had a current of over 6 knots, but this was something the guides expected and only my buddy and I went there with one of the guides, while the others did a more quiet dive. The visibility was quite good, about 25 m in North and Central, a bit less in South. My favorite dive sites were Batu Bolong, Crystal Rock and Castle rock. There was just so much fish life, big schools of fish everywhere. Even though these sites are some of the most famous in Komodo, they were not crowded, since there are so many sites that we didn't often find any other boar at the same site. In the bays we also saw Rhinopias, lots of nudi branches, and on sunset dives mandarin fish. Also on the night dives there was lots of interesting macro stuff, and many large octopuses. We didn't find as many hunting moray eels as on previous trips in the Red Sea.

The boat was an excellent place to stay. Plenty of space on the dive deck, good cabins to sleep in, lots of nice space to hang out when we were not diving. The boat crew were super friendly as well. The food was really amazing. Always fresh, healthy, delicious and plentiful. After each meal there was delicious fresh fruit. My buddy and I are vegetarians and the crew made sure there was always plenty of vegetarian food for us.

We didn't rent equipment, but some other divers did, and I can say it was in good condition.

Furthermore, the boat has all the required safety equipment. I would really recommend this company both for day trips and liveaboards!

Thanks so much for the review. I was looking forward to this one because I have read mixed reviews about Komodo. There are some who love it and then there are those who say that they are paying "Indonesian prices" for "Thailand level" of diving. I have not been to either so I am always going ... :confused:

Btw ... where else have you been diving and how did the over-all diving compare to your other dive destinations?

I also thought that many of the liveaboards were quite expensive, but this company is significantly cheaper. And so is Wicked Diving, another company that I found in Komodo.
I have not been to many places yet. Places where I have been diving so far
- South Australia
- New Zealand (Malborough Sounds and Poor Knights Islands)
- Egypt (Deep South liveaboard and Elphinstone, Brothers and Daedalus liveaboard)
- Bali (Tulamben, Nusa Penida/Nusa Lembongan)
- The Netherlands

As you see, I can not compare Komodo to Thailand. I think Komodo was my favorite place for diving so far, although I also absolutely loved some of the sites in the Red Sea, especially when the hammerheads were around. The thing I really loved about Komodo is that it offers so many different things: beautiful coral reefs, enormous diversity in species, many schools of fish, good visibility, lots of mantas and reef sharks, strong currents, but also more sheltered sites, not too many divers at the sites etc.

There are many more places I would like to see (I'm trying to find out what's next now...thinking of Deep South Maldives), but I'll definitely come back to Komodo at some point.

So you would rank Komodo diving a notch above South Australia and Poor Knights? Those two places are pretty $$$ for us folks from USA.

I certainly would, but they are very different as well. Diving in Komodo is tropical diving, whereas the water in South Australia is not that warm. Komodo offers corals, whereas SA offers Kelp etc. I liked Komodo better, but I think they are too different to say anything about which one someone else would prefer.

Indeed diving in Australia and New Zealand is quite expensive.

Thanks so much for the review. I was looking forward to this one because I have read mixed reviews about Komodo. There are some who love it and then there are those who say that they are paying "Indonesian prices" for "Thailand level" of diving. I have not been to either so I am always going ... :confused:

Btw ... where else have you been diving and how did the over-all diving compare to your other dive destinations?

It's been a quite few years since I've been to Thailand but in my opinion Komodo is better. I've been to Komodo twice in the past two years and am going back again if that says anything.

We have been to Komodo once , but revisiting again next year and we have also visitedThailand on several occasions. Komodo is better by miles and miles in my opinion...the coral in Thailand was badly damaged in 2010 by a bleaching , plus it is very over dived. There are also far more fish , particularly sharks in Komodo than in Thailand. Our next favorite place has been Raja Ampat.

Thanks for the report Op and I'm so pleased that you loved it there.

In my humble opinion, there is no comparison to the diving in Thailand and the diving in Komodo! Komodo was by far a better destination!! We have been twice and it was awesome both times!!! Batu Balong, carnibal rock, top side Komodo dragons, etc etc. I could go on and on. I would go back to Komodo again for sure, but not Thailand. Great report by the way!!!

I have 2 weeks in February to spend underwater. How is the weather/diving conditions in Komodo in February? Are there good near-shore/dayboat dives or one has to take liveaboards?

Bali seems easier to access, how does it compare to Komodo?

Last edited:
Great report. Did similar trip and agree 100% - Batu Balong I recall as a magical place especially, with schools of neon fusilliers moving in sync to dodge attacks by big trevally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom