Trip Report Komodo Liveaboard, the Galigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemon119

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TLDR - Best boat, best crew, best food, best diving experience. Just book it!

My wife and I just finished the Jurassic (6 day 5 night) Komodo dive liveaboard and it was incredible!

The boat - beautiful Phinisi boat purpose built for diving. Awesome spacious dive deck with big wash tanks, excellent gear storage and a perfect camera station. Great chill out areas for between dives with bean bags, sun beds and the right mix of sunny and shady spots. Super sturdy at sea, no rolling, no need to worry about sea sickness. Very well maintained and cared for with a beautiful main galley that was more than big enough to accommodate everyone comfortably. The best views at every meal!

The cabins - the nicest cabins we've ever had on a dive liveaboard. We stayed in the deluxe double below deck and it was perfect. 3 cool brass portholes let in plenty of light and give great views. The cabin is roomy and has lots of storage, great AC and a very comfy bed! Huge bathroom with a hot shower. All very well appointed.

The crew - can't say enough good things about this crew! Jacob the Cruise Director was awesome and looked after the whole boat so well. I had an issue that stopped me from diving on the last 2 days, and Jacob made a special effort to take me out on some amazing snorkeling excursions while everyone else was diving so I didn't miss out on anything! He also contacted DAN on my behalf and took care of everything with complete professionalism. Every member of the crew looked after us with kind words and smiles every day. From the tender crew to the galley staff (shout out to Raja and Eman!) to the guys on the dive deck, everyone went above and beyond in every aspect and made us feel like family. They are such a fun crew with contagious energy and happiness! Our gear was always set up and waiting for us before each dive, loaded onto the tender and even cleaned and dried! Literally all we had to do was roll into the water! And roll was about all we could do after the ridiculous amount of incredible food they fed us every day!

The food - We're both vegan and my wife is celiac so between the two of us, we're basically a chefs worst nightmare! But the kitchen staff on the Galigo didn't miss a beat. Dede the chef made such a special effort to prepare amazing vegan gluten free feasts for us at every meal. His food is out of this world and we were treated to some of the best meals we've ever eaten! He is a magician!

The diving - I won't go into much detail about the diving because if you're still reading this then you know how amazing the diving here is! What I will say is that all the dive guides on the Galigo were absolutely top tier! The dive briefings were fantastic (these guys are dive map artists!). Safety was always front and center and they made sure everyone was really comfortable and stayed safe in the currents at all times. Our guide Aghi was so professional and calm in all situations. His ability to spot wildlife is astounding and he always made sure everyone in the group saw everything. The itinerary is perfect hitting all the best dive spots at just the right times and delivering some of the best night dives ever!

Thank you Galigo for the trip of a lifetime! We will definitely be back to dive Raja Ampat with you ASAP!

Great to hear about another liveaboard actively being able to take care of Gluten Free needs! I too am a celiac and some boats have been MUCH better than others.

Separately - Curious what you experienced water temp wise in and around Komodo. I'm packing for a July trip and trying to learn if I need to find space for a 5mm...

Glad you had a good time. Just to clarify, if I understand correctly, the Liveaboard name of the vessel is La Galigo, and Jurassic refers to a specific Komodo itinerary they do?

Glad you had a good time. Just to clarify, if I understand correctly, the Liveaboard name of the vessel is La Galigo, and Jurassic refers to a specific Komodo itinerary they do?
Might the OP wish to add that to the thread title? @Lemon119 ?

TLDR - Best boat, best crew, best food, best diving experience. Just book it!

My wife and I just finished the Jurassic (6 day 5 night) Komodo dive liveaboard and it was incredible!

The boat - beautiful Phinisi boat purpose built for diving. Awesome spacious dive deck with big wash tanks, excellent gear storage and a perfect camera station. Great chill out areas for between dives with bean bags, sun beds and the right mix of sunny and shady spots. Super sturdy at sea, no rolling, no need to worry about sea sickness. Very well maintained and cared for with a beautiful main galley that was more than big enough to accommodate everyone comfortably. The best views at every meal!

The cabins - the nicest cabins we've ever had on a dive liveaboard. We stayed in the deluxe double below deck and it was perfect. 3 cool brass portholes let in plenty of light and give great views. The cabin is roomy and has lots of storage, great AC and a very comfy bed! Huge bathroom with a hot shower. All very well appointed.

The crew - can't say enough good things about this crew! Jacob the Cruise Director was awesome and looked after the whole boat so well. I had an issue that stopped me from diving on the last 2 days, and Jacob made a special effort to take me out on some amazing snorkeling excursions while everyone else was diving so I didn't miss out on anything! He also contacted DAN on my behalf and took care of everything with complete professionalism. Every member of the crew looked after us with kind words and smiles every day. From the tender crew to the galley staff (shout out to Raja and Eman!) to the guys on the dive deck, everyone went above and beyond in every aspect and made us feel like family. They are such a fun crew with contagious energy and happiness! Our gear was always set up and waiting for us before each dive, loaded onto the tender and even cleaned and dried! Literally all we had to do was roll into the water! And roll was about all we could do after the ridiculous amount of incredible food they fed us every day!

The food - We're both vegan and my wife is celiac so between the two of us, we're basically a chefs worst nightmare! But the kitchen staff on the Galigo didn't miss a beat. Dede the chef made such a special effort to prepare amazing vegan gluten free feasts for us at every meal. His food is out of this world and we were treated to some of the best meals we've ever eaten! He is a magician!

The diving - I won't go into much detail about the diving because if you're still reading this then you know how amazing the diving here is! What I will say is that all the dive guides on the Galigo were absolutely top tier! The dive briefings were fantastic (these guys are dive map artists!). Safety was always front and center and they made sure everyone was really comfortable and stayed safe in the currents at all times. Our guide Aghi was so professional and calm in all situations. His ability to spot wildlife is astounding and he always made sure everyone in the group saw everything. The itinerary is perfect hitting all the best dive spots at just the right times and delivering some of the best night dives ever!

Thank you Galigo for the trip of a lifetime! We will definitely be back to dive Raja Ampat with you ASAP!
awesome report!

Great to hear about another liveaboard actively being able to take care of Gluten Free needs! I too am a celiac and some boats have been MUCH better than others.

Separately - Curious what you experienced water temp wise in and around Komodo. I'm packing for a July trip and trying to learn if I need to find space for a 5mm...
Yeh it can be a pretty tricky one so it's always amazing to see a boat accommodate for it!

Water temp was 27-29C where we were diving (central and northern). Most people were diving in 3mm long suits, with a few in just rashies and shorts. If you end up doing any of the Southern sites then I think the water is colder down there (maybe around 22-25, but not 100% sure).

Have an awesome time!

Yes exactly, the vessel is La Galigo and Jurassic is the itinerary. Apologies for the confusion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom