Komodo Liveaboard Sunk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, how about that right side list of craziness in BaliTimes? Quite a list of events they have listed. The police killing people over traffic problems, quakes, collisions, etc. etc.

Wow, how about that right side list of craziness in BaliTimes? Quite a list of events they have listed. The police killing people over traffic problems, quakes, collisions, etc. etc.

My "personal favourite" is the article "Sword-Wielding Man Goes on Rampage" and where it says in the article that the man "was detained and beaten by local people before being handed over to police." O-Kayyy.

But seriously - it would be nice to have a first hand account of what happened. Xariatay, if your friend is willing to post, he'd have an audience!

Trish

How on earth does a boat hit a reef and then sink into 300 METERS of water? Pinnacle?

She hit a rock! And drifted away.

The rock she hit is on the way down to south Komodo. And the current runs through pretty strong. I guess the boat would still have been floating once the engine drowned, and the currents will have taken her out off the reef. I am not in Labuan Bajo so don't have the full story yet.

Note this is not the first boat to hit this rock. Another boat took a nasty hit from her last year but didn;t sink, but she did have to go into dock for repairs.

Tourist Boat Capsizes Near Komodo Island
Wednesday, 15 September, 2010 | 13:19 WIB

TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta: A tourist boat carrying about 15 foreigners capsized near Komodo island, the best known diving spot in East Nusa Tenggara Province after reportedly hitting a reef in the waters on Tuesday (14/9).

Blue Dragon boat carrying tourists from United States, Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, and Malaysia sank in Lohoksera south of Komodo Island which all were rescued by local search and rescue service, although a japanese and a diving instructor were left injured.

Search and Rescue Post Coordinator in West Manggarai Regency Deni Sibarani in his report to Governor Frans lebu Raya said "the boat sank after suspectedly hitting the reef that made water flowed through the broken hull."

Authorities have not evacuated the boat but all tourists reportedly survived the accident.

It is really scary to think that a crew of a live aboard can be so careless. I'm not sure what the requirements to operate a commercial vessel over there but I'm guessing it is not strict enough.

If you are going to take the responsibliity of transporting another life you damn sure should know where you are going. That captain is very lucky non of his passengers died. I hope his captains license is revoked.

If you are going to take the responsibliity of transporting another life you damn sure should know where you are going. That captain is very lucky non of his passengers died. I hope his captains license is revoked.

Does anyone know if the local government in that part of the world requires captains licensed? Are there any legal crew training requirements?

Yes there are regulations, quite a lot and comprehensive. The local harbour master requires all sorts of papers before your boat can go out. And, of course, a wad of little rectangular sheets of paper if you don't satisfy all the regulations! Where is that sword wielding man when you need him?

It is really scary to think that a crew of a live aboard can be so careless. I'm not sure what the requirements to operate a commercial vessel over there but I'm guessing it is not strict enough.

So what youre saying is that once youre licensed to do something there shouldnt be a chance in hell you can fail at it? Like you cant ever possibly get into a car accident because youve got a drivers license?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom