Komodo Liveaboard - Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ppina
We did the Komodo/Flores trip with MV Samambaia and loved it; the boat is fantastic, crew along with Paolo the owner were great.

The boat is very spacious as are the cabins and when you talk to Paolo you know it was built with much love; we really couldn't find one fault with the boat. One of the reasons we picked this boat was the number of divers; we like the smaller liveaboard and fewer divers and on our trip there were a total of 8 divers which was great.

This was our 1st time to Indonesia as we've been going back to the Maldives year on year since 1999 and we've already said that we are looking to do a repeat trip on Samambaia in 2019 to RA.
Trust me; if you decide to go for this boat you won't be disappointed
Happy & Safe Travels
VKE

I think nobody does Nitrox in Komodo because of the possibility of down currents ...

Not sure about that. I went with Mermaid I Bali-Komodo-Bali and dove with Nitrox, Mermaid I. I didn't experience any down current either. I've been diving in Komodo in 3 separate liveaboard trips (1x with Mermaid 1, 2x with MV Tarata), all smooth sailing & diving. All depends on the guides in choosing the right sites and the right time to plunge into the water.

We dove in dive site called shotgun, a fast horizontal current in the shallow (20-40' depth). That was fun.

The only down current I experienced was in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida, Bali, in search of the oceanic mola-mola. See my avatar. I saw my bubbles went down into the abyss. So, I finned in a hurry to the slope and grabbed on rocks and started to do the underwater rockclimbing. :D

Never had downcurrents in the deep in Komodo or only mild ones.
The worst experience I had in Komodo was in very shallow waters, immediately after pulling off from the top of Castle Rock to the blue I was caught into a sinusoidal trail that went 5m-9m-2m-7m-4m in a few seconds... it blew my ears as a consequence, then I had to skip a couple of days diving back in Bali.

I had downcurrents on a steep black sand slope on Seraya Bali with nothing around to grab, just sand : I always carry a couple of muck sticks, it helped a lot...

Like Dan said there are some fun currents like Shotgun where we almost had a "highway incident" nearly bumping into a manta ray which was as surprized as myself by my speed. I think this is really a site everyone should do, it shows what is horizontal current without being difficult to cope with hence teaches how to deal with your buoyancy and direction finning.

Plus the bommy in the end is beautiful.

37592639416_91dd6feee9_c.jpg
Shotgun bommie and glassfish school by Ludovic, on Flickr

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom