Komodo: Land-based or Liveaboard? (Mermaid 1 ?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Mr. Potato Cod and I are considering Indonesia next May or June. Because Bali is the easiest for us to get to and we can spend a few days birdwatching as we adjust to the time change, we are thinking that pairing Bali with Komodo would make sense. I want to see those giant lizards too!

I'm looking at the Mermaid 1, which has the advantage of starting and ending in Bali, thus eliminating the need for a domestic flight to Labuan Bajo. I know this means not all of the diving is in the Komodo National Park, but this would be a 10 day/9 night trip so should be plenty of diving. Anyone done this trip/boat?

We are also open to a dive resort on Komodo Island, but I'm not seeing something that jumps out as the right spot. For reference, we love the Little Cayman Beach Resort (just got back from our second trip there) and some place like that would be great--A/C is a MUST, as is someplace quiet because I'm a terrible sleeper (so no loud bars or clubs on site or next to it), and reasonably close to dive sites. We don't care about spas or super fancy dining, but don't want a cheap backpacker-type place.

Also, I'm curious if there is another place with warm water in Indonesia that is a good option for May or June (out of the rainy parts to the North) that may have calmer water. I think we'd be fine with the current (we're closing in on our 300th dives) but have never used reef hooks or deployed surface marker buoys from depth. Should that be a concern?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I enjoyed my time with Scuba Junkies in Komodo. My room had AC, the common areas and backpacker type huts do not. It is open-air dining and lounge area. Meals were okay, some better than others, but I never went hungry. It won't be LCDR, but it was a nice outfit and most definitely a quiet and peaceful place. The diving in Komodo blows the Caymans (and anywhere else in the Caribbean) out of the water, IMO. Any lack in facilities there will be more than made up for underwater.

They also have an outfit on Bali (well Nusa Penida).

Look for Dan's reviews on here, I think he has used Mermaid several times and is highly impressed with their operation.

How are you with night time barking dogs and very early rising roosters - everywhere in Indonesia has plenty 😜 And using a reef hook isn't difficult...some good demo videos on the Tube 😉

We did that Mermaid route, Bali to Bali many years and many liveaboards ago. It was brilliant and we often talk about doing it again.

g
I enjoyed my time with Scuba Junkies in Komodo. My room had AC, the common areas and backpacker type huts do not. It is open-air dining and lounge area. Meals were okay, some better than others, but I never went hungry. It won't be LCDR, but it was a nice outfit and most definitely a quiet and peaceful place. The diving in Komodo blows the Caymans (and anywhere else in the Caribbean) out of the water, IMO. Any lack in facilities there will be more than made up for underwater.

They also have an outfit on Bali (well Nusa Penida).

Look for Dan's reviews on here, I think he has used Mermaid several times and is highly impressed with their operation.
great info

Done LoB to Komodo from LBJ before but my experience with Scuba Junkies( 3 times) meant there won't be any repeat with LoB.
There is only one site, Shot Gun, where reef hook might be necessary but I never use it because I never carry one even at Blue Corner in Palau. As for deploying smb under water! Good skill to know but no much skill/technique required on the surface. However, do carry one and other signalling devices.

I had travelled in some relatively remote places in Indonesia and barking dog/rooster are never an issue, may be true in Kata Beach in Phuket.

I've done 2 trips on the Mermaid 2, great trips, great operator. I liked my first trip so much I booked a trip for the following year on my return.

I have also been to Scuba Junkies twice, another really good operation. They do have a couple of A/C rooms, the resort is not fancy but nice for landbased diving Komodo. The food certainly is not fancy but is good. Most of SJ clientele are younger backpackers, who like to enjoy a few evening beers, but you won't be hearing loud clubs or bars. Staying in Lajuan Bajo is'nt the best land based option IMHO, it's a hot and dusty boomtown.

The advantage of LOB's is they cover the whole park, Scuba Junkies dives mostly in the central region, going as far South as Padar and to the North Cauldron. Scuba Junkies does have a new LOB but I don't know their routes. LOB's leaving from Bali yes have dives out of the park but they can be amazing dives. Some are muck dives and some are reef dives, the Muck dives can be outstanding if your into Muck/Macro.

Thanks for the great info so far! Just spent some time looking over Scuba Junkies. They are a very intriguing option. I do wish they had nitrox though and getting to Labuan Bajo would require domestic flights that eat up a chunk of two days. Time isn't a huge issue for us but airports just aren't enjoyable. On the other hand, it is much less expensive.

Does anyone know if Scuba Junkies offers land-based day trips? Like, for days it might be too windy or something?

Thanks for the great info so far! Just spent some time looking over Scuba Junkies. They are a very intriguing option. I do wish they had nitrox though and getting to Labuan Bajo would require domestic flights that eat up a chunk of two days. Time isn't a huge issue for us but airports just aren't enjoyable. On the other hand, it is much less expensive.

Does anyone know if Scuba Junkies offers land-based day trips? Like, for days it might be too windy or something?
I had only done the land-based day trip because the LoB was not available then.
3 trips(Sep and Oct) and never ever experienced anything too unpleasant ie. weather.

may or june should be late enough the weather won't be an issue at SJ

but if the pricing for mermaid works, there isn't really any reason to pick SJ other than to save money. better food, no dealing with about 4 hours of boat rides just getting to the dive site every day, more dives per day and nitrox, losing some dive time due to the extra flight, etc.

if you do go with SJ, try to get an early flight to LBJ both so you have a buffer in case of delay and also to have a chance to hit the mini market in town before your transfer. once you get to SJ, there isn't anything there, so you are very limited if you want snacks/drinks/etc.

Back
Top Bottom