Kohala Coast diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dman

Contributor
Reaction score
What dive operators are recommended for diving this area? We are staying at the Waikoloa Beach Resort and would like to find a good operator nearby for a couple days of diving. Any recommendations and/or warnings?

I'm thinking you've only really got about 3-4 operators up north. Red Sail services the Waikoloa beach area, then you've got Mauna Lani Sea Adventures up out of the Mauna Lani and Kohala Divers up in Kawaihae. There used to be an opertor called Mauna Kea Divers up in Kawaihae, I'm not sure if he's still around. Kohala Divers has a fairly nice larger boat, and I basically know zip about the other ops. There may be others, but I haven't heard boo about them if there are.

The diving is good up north, but the area is open to the tradewinds so afternoons can be a bit rough. I hope this helps some.

Thanks for the info. I read some old posts about Kohala but since we will be in that area and interested in doing morning dives, I'll check them out.

We stayed in the Mauna Lani two weeks ago and dove with both Jacks Dive Locker (Kona Area) and Mauna Lani Sea Adventures. Jacks was nice but Mauna Lani Sea Adventures was very good, not to mention walking distance from our room. They use a smaller boat but you are never on it for more than about 10 minutes since all of the dive sites are pretty close. They where very helpful and basically did everything they could to make sure my wife and I had a great experience.

Going to the Kahola Coast in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately my schedule will not permit me to go boat diving while I'm there.

I will have to work every morning, but will be off every day at about 2 p.m.

Any good shore diving?

Puako - or 30-45mins. drive to south of Kona. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

The Manta dives are at night...I think you have to drive down to a Kona boat though. They leave out of Honokohau harbor - just north of town. About the same distance as the ride from the airport. We liked Kona Diving Co. but just about everybody does it. http://www.konadivingcompany.com/DailyDiveTrips/MantaRayDive/tabid/68/Default.aspx

Great links, thanks.

From the Puako shore diving wesbite:

"Possibly the best shore dive site on the Big Island."

I'll be staying in a hotel very close to that area!

My girlfriend will be showing up in Hawaii after my week of work, and we plan to dive for a week.

Any suggestions on where to stay on the Big Island (generally) and what dive op?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom