Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not just you. Why do you keep going back? :)

It's a beautiful island.

Define 'suck.'

I am about to go there for the first time in about two weeks.

I heard the weather was bad, meaning windy, last week.

MT

Last edited:
I'm on a live aboard out of Chumphon, so I won't get to the island.

Conditions the the last two days:

Viz about 2-4 meters. Overcast, windy with some rain. Light chop. Only able to dive the close-in sites on the east side of the island. Had to abort two attempts to get to Chumphon Pinnacle. Making the third attempt now.

The live aboard, Tapana Catamaran, is a wonderful new boat. Spacious with huge cabins. Nicely appointed. Very convenient. Wonderful food. So, I'm having a great time in spite of the so-so diving.

I'm sure Koh Tao has its good days. It's just that in three trips I've yet to see one.

I've always wanted to dive Chumphon Pinnacle. Again, three tries, three failures.

I dont think I will try again....

---------- Post added June 21st, 2015 at 09:20 AM ----------

Trip Redemed

just did a spectacular dive at a site I'd never heard of. Triangle Pinnacle is about ten nautical miles north of Koh Ngam. Top of the pinnacle is about nine meters below the surface. Good viz. No current. Lots to see. Excellent site. I could spend a week here.

Do you have other locations you do like?
I've just moved to Bangkok and am itching to head south! Looking for a new dive buddy.

I think Koh Tao has some excellent dive sites. I just haven't been lucky enough to see any of them.

Right now I favor the South Andaman. The sites there seem to be in better shape than the Similans and, if you go further south, they are less visited than the more popular sites.

My favorite dive site in Thailand is Losin, but it's not easy to find a trip going there. Dive operators generally only go there when moving their boats from the Gulf to the Andaman and vice versa.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2015 at 06:51 PM ----------

If you look at the Wind Guru forecast you will see that 20+ knot winds are forecast for Koh Tao right through the beginning of August.

WindGURU: Thailand - Koh Tao, Mae Haad Bay

Back
Top Bottom