Koh Tao vs. Koh Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarah1

New
Reaction score
I am planning doing on doing a divemaster internship in Thailand in October/November and was looking for some suggestions from people who know the area. I am undecided between Koh Tao or Koh Phi Phi but could use any suggestions for other islands in Thailand. Im young and would prefer somewhere with a good social scene but that is also quite laid back. I am also a fairly experienced diver and would appreciate somewhere with a lot of good dive sites recommended by slightly more experienced divers. As I understand it, Koh Tao has the better nightlife and social atmosphere but the diving has become crowded and vastly overrated, whereas Koh Phi Phi has better diving but not a very good social life-(I would be staying for at least 1 month). Also if anyone could recommend particular dive companies from experience that would be a great help too!!

Thanks a lot!

Koh Tao does have a better social scene and is overall cheaper than PP......however November is monsoon and although we still go diving the conditions arent the best. Good training though! On Koh Tao you will probably get more expereince due to the number of and range of divers.

You look into Koh Lanta? Same advantages (season wise) as Phi Phi, but similar to Tao (sort of) cost wise and social wise. More similar to Tao than Phi Phi, anyway.

I worked and trained DMTs there for a season and thought a number of shops had a nice set up with great diving that time of year and an island that offers a little bit of everything.

Definitely worth throwing in the mix.
Good luck.

I would say that Koh Tao is def more of a social scene, lots of young DMT, Instructors, etc., etc and yes it is very crowded. As mentioned above Nov/Dec can be a bit stormy in the Gulf while Phi Phi is going into its peak season.

Also, while the diving in Tao is very crowded sometimes, I would argue that I have had some of my best days of diving in Thailand on really great days in Koh Tao.

I also know people who loved being based in Phuket... and Pattaya for that matter...

Did my DM training in Phi Phi years back and the small size of the island was indeed a drawback for me, although over all I enjoyed the stay and the diving.

Although around Koh Tao diving is done all year round, the weather conditions during November may not be the best, you may want to check my Samui info and weather blog, linked below and there's a also a good Phuket weather blog so you can check conditions during that time of the year. Samui is similar to Koh Tao and Phuket is similar to Phi Phi and Koh Lanta.

Talking about Koh Lanta, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Koh lanta may be an option that you should consider, check Blue Planet Divers out, they have their own boat.

Alternatively you could also check out Kao Lak, not really a lot of night life but still a good social life possible but the DM course includes two live aboard trips to the Similan islands with these guys

Last edited:
If you go for the diving: go to Phi-Phi
If you go for the social-scene (sex, drugs and rock 'n roll): go to Koh Tao

If you want to do a good DM course: concentrate on finding a good dive center with good instructors and forget about the above...

I would recommend you Koh Tao, you have more space for you and can find go accommodation for not to much money, Phi Phi is good but expensive accommodation and very little obtions.

For the diving you are going to learn to become divemaster so does not really matter.

About social life: same same, Koh Tao has more to offer.

I had far more social life in Phi Phi than I did in Koh Tao, but both were fun places and I did meet a number of fun people in each location. I enjoyed the diving in both locations although Phi Phi was a notch better.

November is monsoon here on Koh Tao but if you luck into the weather we had last year, you'll only have about two days of rain. Great for you... bad for the island and water temp around the island. The island was pritty crowded last season with lots going on and still a ton of fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom