Koh Tao only or Koh Samui as well?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

logic8482

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it worth it to dive directly around Koh Samui at all? I have 6 days I will be in the area and was planning to spend the entire time directly in Koh Tao but was thinking of staying a day or two in Koh Samui first.

Any suggestions?

Samui is nice in my opinion, since it offers a lot more besides diving than Koh Tao does.

Almost all diving from Samui is around Koh Tao, so for the diving you're better off on Koh Tao, however, if you like some other attractions as well, a day or two of Samui is a good option.

Enjoy your stay!

Koh Samui has some wonderful site in the Antghong Marine Park. Sail Rock is also a great site wish is best taken from Koh Samui although is available from Koh Tao also but more expensive and takes so long.

I live and worked as an Instructor on Koh Tao. Two excellant sights to visit would be Chumphon Pinnacle and South West Pinnacle. Both are deep with some very interesting marine life and very large shoals of very large fish. Whale sharks are sighted on both these sights. I spent a number of dives with a mother and baby on the 30 March and first week of April last year on Chumphon Pinnacle.

Koh Tao you will also find less expensive. Out of the two it is the divers island.
The southern side of the island is far less "busy" than the northern side.

WHite Rock is an great night dive although a very busy site just after sunset.
Watch out for Trevor the Trigger Fish, he removed a big chunk of my buddies ear once.

AM sure you will enjoy yourself.

There is a dive company that also operates out of Chumphon. I did not get the time,
but I have heard a number of people say there are some very quiet and spectacular sites which the mainland operators use. There are many Islands just near Chumphon which is where you will catch a ferry from if you are not flying.

:)

If just for diving, I would say Koh Tao.

If you want something else besides diving, the islands are completely different. If you just want to chill out, Koh Tao is nice; but for all kinds of activities, some sightseeing etc. Samui has a lot more to offer.

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions. I think I will try to stay a day or so on Koh Samui first and then do all my diving on Koh Tao!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom