Koh Tao in 2011 - what happened....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ayeshacantrell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What a year.....can you remember .....?

The infamous storm seemed to kick off the year reminding us that we are never really in charge.....but also how quickly the island can pull together and get back on its feet....It did leave us at a loose end with absolutely no divers to take out but we didn't have to queue at the 7/11 either. However we did get a bit bored and created our own water based Fin Olympics.

One of the biggest highlights for us personally was creating our take on Queens Bohemian Rhapsody and filming it partly underwater too. We have great fun making it and even greater fun watching everyone elses reaction to it too. Over 60 thousand people watched it on youtube and it made it to Divernets home page amongst others too - not bad for a little dive shop in Koh Tao - and we know you all enjoyed it too! Thanks for all the messages and comments !

We got a new wreck and all the excitement and drama that went with its sinking and moving etc... and what a great site it has turned out to be... We also got our tech liveaboard back too - which is excellent news for all the avid wreck divers out there..

And of course we enjoyed some great diving too, from the little surprising critters we found... we were graced with seeing a whaleshark in March. There were more throughout the year but this one we were lucky enough to both see and photograph - and what a day - oh it still sends shivers....July was just a cracking month, loaded with turtles and wondrous sites .... August was sensational too - just looking back at the photos has me wishing the year on ....

If you were here this year - what was you best bit of 2011?

Last edited:
Excellent - thanks limbo ....edited now ...

Sorry - Best Butt would be another forum entirely !

But yes - your best bit or memory of Koh Tao 2011 !

For me two things pop to mind, very late in the year, to be exact, two days ago I dived the Sattakut for the first time, that was good!

Another thing I really like is how the coral recovered from the bleaching, it's almost back to how it was before the bleaching. Above all, the coral around Koh Tao is healthy imho and seems to be in excellent shape and condition. This unfortunately in sharp contrast the shape of coral in the greater Similan area, where since a couple of years dead coral seems to be the standard. The boulder diving is still great however almost no coral to speak of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom