Koh Tao Easy Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend was doing his OW there this summer and really liked it. Course was only 9000baht including accommodation.

Hi Thanshin,

yes I have. what kind of information are you interested in?

They dive the regular KT spots. Boat and shop are both on the pier which makes diving really simple. The team is quite good, as are many on KT.

Tom

They predominantly cater for scandinavian customers, but can teach in english. Never heard either good or bad reviews of them when I lived on Koh Tao.

9000 is an average cost for OW on Tao. Not sure what their accn is like. They dive the same sites as everyone else on the island.

yes I have. what kind of information are you interested in?

They dive the regular KT spots. Boat and shop are both on the pier which makes diving really simple. The team is quite good, as are many on KT.

I was actually checking if there was some horror story like "They took our child and sacrificed it in an altar! Oh, and also, the wetsuits' colors were ugly!"

So, I'll take the absence of horror as good news.

I plan to do the aow there and I might consider the rescue. I'm in contact with the spanish instructor (there may be more than one) to ask for prices, etc.

I think I could take the course in english, but I've found good references about the instructor. I just wanted to check the forums for an opinion from experienced divers.

Never done any training there but did 3 days diving on my only trip to the island.
Definitely no complaints, organised efficiently being right on the pier, taken to decent dive sites, freindly staff, well managed dives. The price paid over the 3 days represented good value.
I would say you shouldn't go far wrong diving with these, but 9000bt sounds cheap for the OWC, just ensure you are paying up front for what you expect and there are no 'extras' down the line as can often happen.

They predominantly cater for scandinavian customers, but can teach in english.

I tried to post about a week ago, right after Devon. It might not matter much to anyone anymore, but since I see my post didn't go up... just to hear myself talk....

SCANDI!!!!

Devon, I've enjoyed reading your posts so many times, and I'm always happy to see how in depth you are when giving people answers. I've found you intelligent and fair and chuckled more than a few times when you've called out a few on posts that are useless and/or full of petrol :)

Now, sadly, I see that you are human, too. (I hope you know I'm saying all of this in the lightest of veins).

I've know Easy since 03. Trained OW through Rescue back then. Worked there as a DM and then full time instructor for 1 and 1/2 years. Still very close to many of the staff and pop in on the odd off day to say hi.

Standup company. I've seen three managers, but more than a few of the staff have been there since I first came in 03 and that says A LOT on Tao.

The customer base is mostly UK/Irish, followed closely by spanish, french, german. N America is making it's mark, but Scandis are in the back of the line. There is a "Scandi Season", whatever the hell that may mean. Late in the year there is a glut of them that come over (I'm assuming) to escape weather back home.

The instructor staff (full time), is currently British, Basque (Spanish if you don't get into politics), German, and Thai. All Speak fluent english and there are currently a glut of freelancers for languages and/or spillover when the full timers can't take the whole lot. The groups are 6 max per instructor, although in busy times groups are team taught in classrooms and maybe briefed on the boat, but it's still 6 max in the water. Zigor, the instructor I'm assuming you have spoken to, has been here for at least 7 years. I met him in 03. He's very experienced and has a great record with customers. Having said that, they do like to get people to learn in English if possible. All materials are available in whatever tongue you like (hmmm.... Swahili??), but because English terms are used world wide for both equipment and safety procedures, don't be surprised to be asked if you are ok with an english speaking course. You might end up with Zigor anyway! I've seen him teach in both English and Spanish to mixed groups. He's done it all.

Prices... same as all the "normal shops". There are a few that charge a little less, but they skimp out on a lot, and there are more than a few (like the one I work at now) that charge a little more because it caters to a more family style base.

Easy is still a tried and true backpackers haven that has stuck through the island's shift from rucksacks to roller luggage. The accommodation ranges from simple to normal, but it has very few rooms in the "high end" category. They will help you find that and still happily teach you if you need something fancy.

Just remember, you're paying for a diving course. The whole free accommodation and free food and free taxis and free beer (kidding... kidding) is part of a trend that started years ago when the island began to explode with shops. Focus on the people, the gear and the quality of the instructors.

Having said all that.... I DON'T EVEN WORK THERE ANYMORE, but they hold a sweet spot in my heart. I'm much happier where I am, but that has nothing to do with anything you'll encounter as a customer. Promise.

If you do end up there, please tell Zigor, Chris, Luke Mee, Elliot, or whomever you speak to that Gannon says hi.

Man, I hope my manger doesn't kill me for saying such nice things about someone else's shop :)

She wont, she's awesome (Liz...you reading this?)

By the way. My last 4 Open Water Courses. All Scandi. Funny that.

I tried to post about a week ago, right after Devon. It might not matter much to anyone anymore, but since I see my post didn't go up... just to hear myself talk....

SCANDI!!!!

Devon, I've enjoyed reading your posts so many times, and I'm always happy to see how in depth you are when giving people answers. I've found you intelligent and fair and chuckled more than a few times when you've called out a few on posts that are useless and/or full of petrol :)

Now, sadly, I see that you are human, too. (I hope you know I'm saying all of this in the lightest of veins).

My bad. I worked on the island for over 2 years.... and that was the impression I got. But you know how the island is.... stuff can be right under your nose and you still don't know the score. ha ha

Can you believe...2+ years on the rock and I never once visited a beach (other than Sairee/Mae Haad). I never did the FMP either. LOL

Oh yeah... I miss Scandi season. :wink: We don't have anything like that here in the Phils. I spent some great days enjoying the view from the dive shop on Sairee,.....

Back
Top Bottom