Koh Tao diving conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning on spending 4 or 5 days diving around xmas time. I'm hearing that this is not the diving season for Koh Tao. What does that mean exactly? Rough seas? bad visibility? I don't have enough time to head to the Phuket side.

Also, any dive sites near Koh Samui and Koh Phangan as I'll be staying there as well.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

"Rough seas? bad visibility?"

Both those. All the east coast is like this. If you want to dive, you really should consider the Andaman side. It's way better anyway.

Tao, Samui and Phangna are all close together in the gulf of thailand. they are subject to the same weather conditions. it will be monsoon season in the gulf till march. very rough seas and likely marginal diving conditions. conditions on tao itself will be very muddy and wet and windy, with attendant electric outtages.

i would advise anyone to skip the gulf during the monsoon season.

Same advice here. They just got hit with a bad storm. I've been there in mid January and it was just getting better conditions - I would say right now is no good. Do a liveaboard in the Similans or Koh Lanta.

scubasassy:
Same advice here. They just got hit with a bad storm. I've been there in mid January and it was just getting better conditions - I would say right now is no good. Do a liveaboard in the Similans or Koh Lanta.

and Lanta is a much nicer island as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom