Koh Lanta November, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, it looks now like I will be spending three weeks in Thailand this year. The first 4 days will be spent in Kao Sok area (The Cliff & River Jungle Resort) and then we will have almost 2 weeks to spend somewhere else. I am considering a couple of options but need to consider the following:

1. We will be traveling with a couple non-divers so we will need both diving and topside excursions.
2. Money is always a consideration but we are not willing to sacrifice some comfort for it.
3. Photography is a must for both topside and underwater. I love scenery as well as wildlife.
4. Some of the considered excursions (over and above diving) will be: Jungle Tour, Elephant Trek, Waterfall Tour, Tiger Cave tour, Phi Phi Island Tour.
5. We will have roughly 4 days to dive and a live aboard is a no-no so day trips it is. I am looking probably to get 3-4 dives in per each of those 4 days. Any recommendations on Koh Lanta operators?

I have been looking at the Ocean View Resort on Koh Lanta but am curious if anybody out there has experience there. I am also going to ask you to let me know your suggestion for a comfortable reasonably priced ocean front (preferably but resort ocean front and not necessarily room unless reasonable).

What would you suggest as a MUST SEE or MUST DO? I want the nature but also would like some of the culture as well. After we leave this region, we will have 2 days in Bangkok to try and enjoy it as well.

I appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you

On Koh Lanta you can get two dives done per day, the dive sites are too far away to get more done. The dives are done by boat. Possibly you could get a night dive in though, not too sure about the options there.

Bubble Junky, a poster here, lives and works on Lanta, maybe try to get in touch with him, I'm sure he can help you out more accurate info.

You may want to have a look at Ao Nang in Krabi. A much better place than Koh Lanta for your friends to do excursions and also a much better place for you to be able to do multiple day dives.
Incredible limestone rock formations, caves, jungle, elephant trekking, hot water springs, Phi-Phi day excursions, beautiful nearby islets etc. etc.
Krabi (Ao Nang) has a very good range of hotels, resorts and restaurants as well.

Ao Nang is a great place, but you should be aware that there are very few resorts that are ocean front and the beach is not suitable for swimming there. Mostly you take longtail boats to other beaches or islands 20-30 minutes away.

But it's a good base for touring the islands.

You can do that from Koh Lanta as well. Phi Phi is as close from Koh Lanta as from Ao Nang. There are also islands south of Koh Lanta to visit.

That being said, I will leave for a 10 days trip to the area in two weeks. First we stay 5 nights in Koh Lanta and then the rest in Ao Nang. Can't wait to go. I will do one dive day in Koh Lanta and one from Ao Nang. My husband is a non diver and I think these places will be suitable for both of us. Been to Ao Nang before but Koh Lanta is the first time.

I can write a trip report when I come back!

.......Bubble Junky, a poster here, lives and works on Lanta, maybe try to get in touch with him, I'm sure he can help you out more accurate info.

Thanks for the advice. I sent him an PM asking if I can question him on the area.

You may want to have a look at Ao Nang in Krabi.......

I am also looking at Ao Nang but many considerations are pushing me towards Koh Lanta. Nothing has officially been booked so I am still considering things. Even if we end up on Koh Lanta, a trip to Krabi to see all the things you mentioned. Thanks for mentioning it.

.......I can write a trip report when I come back!

That would be very much appreciated. I am not sure when we will book anything so I may still be able to take your report into consideration.

Try to get in touch with Peter Abrahamsson from Kon-Tiki Lanta. They have a boat dedicated for snorkelers only and one for divers (snorkelers can join). There is many beach resort on Lanta and those on "Long Beach" are mostly very nice. You can do different excursion, though it is a bit limited, because of the small size of the islands.

Highlight of diving is without a doubt Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Koh Haa Yai. Hin Bida, Phi Phi Islands, Shark Point, Anemone Reef and the King Cruiser Wreck is other good sites.

Koh Lanta is a very nice and calm place, but Ao Nang has more facilities. have a nice trip.

Yesterday, did an absolutely fabulous set of dives leaving from Koh Lanta, dive site was Koh Haa. We'd never been there before. Booked with Blue Planet Divers in Klong Nin Beach, 2600 for 2 dives, incl. transport to boat, lunch, etc. Equip. is 300 baht extra, per day. Dive guide was Greg from Blue Planet. Ranks up there with the best as far as briefing and below water guiding skills. Great boat, great lunch, brand new equipment, great day!

Great vis, saw turtles, lobsters, and too much more to name. Skipped diving today, but want to go tomorrow (Weds.). Blue Planet is going to Hin Daeng tomorrow, but not sure we want to do the 4 hour one-way ride there, so we are trying to find a boat going to Phi Phi or Bida.

FYI, Klong Nin Beach is a cool beach to stay, great feel to it. Restaurants and beach bars on the beach, no kids running around either. :)

Check these two web-sites out. Have replied to your PM too, sorry it took a while, but been away from here for a while - too busy looking at fish.........
Mook & Pimalai Divers

Back
Top Bottom