Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you finding the private guides? Is this done with tank rentals? We have our own equipment, minus tanks. I would love to only spend 150BHT per dive. Could you tell me more on this matter? Also where did you dive to obtain such cheap prices? Where in Thailand did you dive? We were thinking of Koh Tao... Sorry I am rambling, I just peed my pants a little reading your post from the excitement.
We are trying to dive as much as possible for the least amount of money. I have been checking the prices and all are pretty expensive. Like I said, we have our own equipment, and would love to stay away from big crowds. And your charter trip sounds pretty sweet.
The B150 is on top of the standard B800 per dive with Master Divers.

AAAAhhhhh.... I get it. I need opinions, I am torn between doing a live aboard on the west vs. shore dives from Koh Tao in April. What would you all suggest on this matter. I have never been to Thailand and would like to see as much as possible, also maximize my chances of seeing a whale shark. What are your thoughts on this.

Mother Nature and the sea, deliver what they deliver and often don't deliver what you hope for.

I really loved Koh Tao on shore but was disappointed by the diving. Yes, the day trips out to Chumphorn and Sail Rock where good but even so, not on par with ay other places I'd been before and certainly not, since.

AAAAhhhhh.... I get it. I need opinions, I am torn between doing a live aboard on the west vs. shore dives from Koh Tao in April. What would you all suggest on this matter. I have never been to Thailand and would like to see as much as possible, also maximize my chances of seeing a whale shark. What are your thoughts on this.
Quality vs quantity.
LoB to Similan is a lot more expensive and interesting than the shore dive at Koh Tao.
However, the life style in Koh Tao/Koh Phangan might be your cup of tea.

In my travels, Koh Tao was the cheapest, if you get a multi-day unlimited package (like 10 consecutive days) and dive whenever the boat goes out, two in the morning (deeper dives), two afternoon, and occasionally a night dive. The diving isn't as good as Koh Lanta, but if what you're looking for is a lot of dives to fine tune your skills, then Koh Tao would be an inexpensive option. I dove enough to average about $15/boat dive, equipment included. The break even is two dives a day at about $25/boat dive, equipment included. Koh Lanta has the additional cost of boat fuel, breakfast and lunch, and marine park fees that make the price higher.

Awesome..... thanks to all for the input. I think we are going to do the west side. It might be a more expensive, but as we are going to be doing altitude certification soon and dry suit, we will be able to dive plenty in Switzerland to fine tune everything. Again, thanks for the great input.

Both Lomprayah and Seatran can arrange transfer(bus and ferry) from Phuket Town to Koh Tao for about B1,000.00 each way. And takes about 9 - 10hrs.

Back
Top Bottom