koh lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waikatoboy

Reaction score
I heard koh lak is up and running agian which would be great for everyone there and me because i had wanted to do my divemaster training there in the hope of getting to the similans while training.

Does anybody know the situation there?

If a no go anyone know if divemaster training in Phuket gives the option of getting to the similans?

If also a no go Does anyone know if its possible through dive schools in koh tao obviously working with dive schools on the andaman coast??????

cheers for any info.

waikatoboy:
I heard koh lak is up and running agian which would be great for everyone there and me because i had wanted to do my divemaster training there in the hope of getting to the similans while training.

Does anybody know the situation there?

If a no go anyone know if divemaster training in Phuket gives the option of getting to the similans?

If also a no go Does anyone know if its possible through dive schools in koh tao obviously working with dive schools on the andaman coast??????

cheers for any info.

If you are talking about Khao lak ( 1 hour North from Phuket and quite in front the Similans ) Things are going better there. Not that great, but better . Cleaning, plantations, new constructions etc. Enough for me to go diving there with Sea dragons. for a cruise in early December. For your training; you should ask them.

Waikatoboy, I'm looking at these options also! I'll be there at the end of October. I've done some great diving with Seadragon in Khao Lak, but in my e-mails to them I wasn't overly impressed with their responses. I want to take divemasterand am willing to work hard on the internship, I do also want to build up my dives in some great waters. I also put up a post regarding jobs after the DM course but got no replys-maybe the wrong forum!

Yeah I have been trying to decide for a year where I am going to base myself for my dive master keeping in mind that I want to get as much quality diving in as possible with alot of variation to help build on my own skills. But want to enjoy myself as well as diving is a recreation sport and if your not enjoying it then why do it.

Phuket sounds great as for the diving but as for accommodation and off the water scene I think I would prefer Koh tao but as it is said here enough the diving is not great there and not as much variation as phuket.

Thats why I had been looking at Koh Phi Phi or Khao lak but still got my doubts about the situation there. I know that koh Phi Phi is reasonably cleaned up and the diving is good just not sure about prices off the water as it was too expensive before.

As for koh lak I dont know much.

As far as i know you cant work as Dm in thailand as there is a over kill on Dm students........

seandixie:
I wasn't overly impressed with their responses.
What did you mean by that? I have been having some issues with them and would like to know before I send them a deposit.

Hi Dave, Well I've dived with them for a week a couple of years ago and they were great! Well organised, all customers are WELL looked after, very safety contous all in all a great outfit to dive with. However, when I made enquieries about the dive master course, all the information was accurate with clear costings etc but I was told that there would not be much diving involved! I got the feeling that if you had covered your 60 dives already (I have) then you would pretty much be land based except for the skills needed. I don't know if this feeling is right...but divemaster is a serious course and I want to get it right.

seandixie:
Hi Dave, Well I've dived with them for a week a couple of years ago and they were great! Well organised, all customers are WELL looked after, very safety contous all in all a great outfit to dive with. However, when I made enquieries about the dive master course, all the information was accurate with clear costings etc but I was told that there would not be much diving involved! I got the feeling that if you had covered your 60 dives already (I have) then you would pretty much be land based except for the skills needed. I don't know if this feeling is right...but divemaster is a serious course and I want to get it right.
Thanks for that reply. I was hesitant because they are slow to respond to emails and when they originally sent a request for deposit the amount was significantly lower than when I request a paypal invoice. Each email seems to come from a different person and usually it takes a week between replys.
As far as DM goes it is not a skill intensive course like rescue. There are sone confined water skills, swim test and some confined and open water assisting of other student programs. The DM course will not really introduce any new skills to you. There is lots of academics so I think if you feel that 60 dives is not enough to develop the level of skill to be a good DM then you are probably right and since you are already thinking along those lines you will eventually become a very good DM.

Just a curiosity ( i ve not been through that padi sive master stuff ) You need 60 dives to be a DM? what are you allowed to do with that? i mean can you take an open wter to 100 feeet? are yoou used to deco dives? my only equivalent fo what i know is " Rescue "

in france i am level 3 and nitrox certified. i am allowed to do any deco dive till level 2 ( but level 2 limit you to a depth of 85 feet) and a depth of 200 feet. but i as i m nota depth guy i only have been to 150 feet. But i can do that only with an another level 3 , with a level 2 as buddy i would be limited to 85 feet, but deco div allowed.

hallboy:
Just a curiosity ( i ve not been through that padi sive master stuff ) You need 60 dives to be a DM? what are you allowed to do with that? i mean can you take an open wter to 100 feeet? are yoou used to deco dives? my only equivalent fo what i know is " Rescue "

in france i am level 3 and nitrox certified. i am allowed to do any deco dive till level 2 ( but level 2 limit you to a depth of 85 feet) and a depth of 200 feet. but i as i m nota depth guy i only have been to 150 feet. But i can do that only with an another level 3 , with a level 2 as buddy i would be limited to 85 feet, but deco div allowed.

In PADI, DM is the entry-level professional - i.e. you "can" work for pay. It allows you to assist instructors in PADI programs, and to teach a few of the PADI programs - see
http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/pro/divemaster.asp

Your in-water limits are the same as any other diver - based on your training, experience and situation. DM does not give you any new limits or allows you to take other divers beyond their limits.

Khao Lak is not as it used to be, but it is up and running and the Similans are still lovely. Give it a go and support the locals and the dive industry. Beautiful time to go now too, not too crowded but still a great place.

Phuket has loads of diveshops and most go to the Similans, I would stick to Khao Lak though if you can because of proximity to the islands.

Give Koh Tao a miss if you can, ick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom