Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

CoralReeferMadness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I am new to ScubaBoard and looking for some advice: I am a science teacher in the California looking for a way to use my summer vacations to travel the world. As a teacher, I don't make much and was looking to complete a Divemaster Internship this summer (and later my Instructor Cert) as a way to work each summer in different parts of the world to help offset the cost of travel.

Right now I am considering Ko Tao, Thailand (maybe Sairee Cottage Divers) or Bali, Indonesia (TBD) and looking for advice from people that have experience diving these areas. I am looking for an inexpensive, but quality course that is not a factory-like setting. I don't mind a bit of a party scene from time to time, but I am 35 and more interested in a quality course with excellent diving- as this not an insignificant investment given my school-teacher salary.

I am interested in S.E. Asia as I was blown away by my diving in the Philippines, but would like to experience a new country. Most of my diving has been in the Caribbean, Mexico, and the California coast. Since I have 6-weeks for the internship, I'd rather spend that time in a region that that is new (as much of the motivation for doing this to explore parts unknown).

My experience:
Open Water cert in 2003 (Burlington, Vermont).
B.S. in Marine Science in 2011 (St. Pete, Florida).
Advanced O.W in 2016 (Palawan, Philippines).
>50 free dives/spearfishing (Fort Bragg, California).
Rescue Cert in 2019 (San Fran, California).
65 Logged dives total

Any advice on specific shops or internships? I am up to a challenge if need be- I am accustomed hard labor, working on boats, cold water diving in kelp with 7mm suit, poor visibility, free diving, etc. I am also not opposed to alternatives to Ko Tao or Bali if the total cost is comparable.

I welcome all thoughts and advice.

Thank you!

Thanks! Any recommendations on specific ops in Bali or Komodo?
I don't have any training experience in Komodo just diving. I used Current Junkies and Blue Marlin. Current Junkies liveaboard was amazing and Blue Marlin in LBJ seemed to have a decent operation. I was happy with them as a dive operator and would likely use them again in the future. They do offer a DM course. Dive Master

SJ Komodo has a very unique set up in the area. The place is quite a distance from everything except a small local village not too far away. Actually most of the staffs came from there.
A very close-knitted environment for DMT and also a very good opportunity to learn a foreign language. Just to learn the 72 letters(44 consonant + 28 vowels) in Thai is not easy! BTW, I am absolutely hopeless in language.

Any suggestions for specific shops offering DM internships in Bali or Komodo?
I've not had any training in Bali but I do know a reputable instructor there.

@ScubaWithTurk

SJ Komodo has a very unique set up in the area. The place is quite a distance from everything except a small local village not too far away. Actually most of the staffs came from there.
A very close-knitted environment for DMT and also a very good opportunity to learn a foreign language. Just to learn the 72 letters(44 consonant + 28 vowels) in Thai is not easy! BTW, I am absolutely hopeless in language.
Thanks for the tip. I have been corresponding with SJ over the past week, and although I was very hopeful, things fell through. They will only start DM internships at the 1st of each month, and not in July or August when season peaks. Still not sure I agree with their rationale, but there you go.

Any suggestions for alternatives near Komodo or back on Bali?

I did my DM in Thailand. Great experience but if I did it over I would head to Indo. Likely Komodo.
Thanks for the tip. I have been corresponding with Scuba Junkie in Komodo over the past week, and although I was very hopeful, things fell through. They will only start DM internships at the 1st of each month, and not in July or August when season peaks. Still not sure I agree with their rationale, but there you go.

Hi, in Bali I would recommend 2 areas for your DMT :
- Nusa Lembongan
- Amed / Tulamben
If you want exp with muck/macro then pick Amed/Tulamben, if you prefer exp with current/drift then pick Nusa Lembongan.
In both areas, DC are all gathered in the same location so for a DMT (no external exam at fixed date) you do not need to choose before arrival ... Just come, talk to a nice instructor and start.
PS : Nusa Lembongan = boat diving. Amed/Tulamben = shore diving and please forget Koh Tao since you want to enjoy your training dive as fun dives ... Bali is already much under Komodo/Raja level

Thanks for the tip. I have been corresponding with SJ over the past week, and although I was very hopeful, things fell through. They will only start DM internships at the 1st of each month, and not in July or August when season peaks. Still not sure I agree with their rationale, but there you go.

Pity because the set up is perfect for DMT. On site training, 3 boat dives a day in various sites of the area with degree of difficulty. There aren't many places that DMT have to jump into water and check the flow/strength of the underwater current!!
I am sorry I cannot really suggest any suitable alternative.
Best of luck.

In Komodo/Labuan Bajo I have been diving with a few operations (as a diver-photographer using private guiding services, sometimes a private boat so we could do what we wanted) : I had a disappointing experience with Marlin Dive who btw had Koh Tao trained instructors, I would recommend Dragon Dive Komodo, french agency trained instructors (usually meaning bolder than average diving) but they are PADI as well.

In Bali, I agree with Twiny : a trade off could be Padang Bai that can combine both local macro and current dives in Penida, so it's a good overall experience.
Geko Dive have experienced instructors incl also TDI tech diving.

Back
Top Bottom