Ko Kra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad news, I'm afraid.

Koh Kra is in a area of shallow murky water, marine life close to the island has been trashed by sheltering fishing boats.

There is a steel wreck in two halves in 30m, if you can see it! The time we went , the current was strong, vis awful, jellly fish everywhere and then a drift net wrapped itself around us and the wreck

Koh Losin, is much , much better, but much , much further.

50 km from Nakhon Si Thammarat
South from Koh Samui.

Anyone been there. How is it? We have an house in Nakhon and I think for going there once.

Yep, have been there and dived it several times.

It's nothing great, it's actually not even close to good. There's some schooling fish, some cowrie shells, a couple of turtles and quite a bit of (broken) hard coral. Some of the very shallow areas have some nice table and other hard corals though.

There's one interesting thing and that is that in front of the small beach at Hin Sung in the early morning hours there is some very cool snorkeling with blacktip reef sharks. There are loads of these small fast sharks there and you will only see them when snorkeling in the very shallows. I've tried with bait and scuba to get them near but never glimpsed even a single animal.

not too good news....
any other ideas near to Nakhon, something I can reach with a local fisherman.
koh losin is extremly far away or?

Bowmouth: isn't it dangerous to try to feed blacktip reef sharks??

Turtles and sharks does not sound so bad, or?

Last edited:
Bowmouth: isn't it dangerous to try to feed blacktip reef sharks??
Turtles and sharks does not sound so bad, or?

Attracting sharks with bait (when carefully planned) can be a lot of fun and is often the only way to get them up and close. Sometimes it's the only way to get to see them at all. Unfortunately blacktip reef sharks in Thailand don't seem to be interested at all in taking an easy snack provided by divers on scuba. I guess part of the trouble is the "noise" we make when blowing bubbles on scuba and that the sharks are scared away by it.

Koh Kra is a very good place to snorkel with them though and they will often come within 2 meters or so of snorkelers.

I think Koh Kra is only worth diving when you are going from A to B and passing it. Making a dedicated trip to Koh Kra for a couple of dives is imo not worth it.

Attracting sharks with bait (when carefully planned) can be a lot of fun and is often the only way to get them up and close. Sometimes it's the only way to get to see them at all. Unfortunately blacktip reef sharks in Thailand don't seem to be interested at all in taking an easy snack provided by divers on scuba. I guess part of the trouble is the "noise" we make when blowing bubbles on scuba and that the sharks are scared away by it.

Koh Kra is a very good place to snorkel with them though and they will often come within 2 meters or so of snorkelers.

I think Koh Kra is only worth diving when you are going from A to B and passing it. Making a dedicated trip to Koh Kra for a couple of dives is imo not worth it.

Since I saw the youtube movie from feeding a moraen (spelling??) I am afraid of feeding animals under water. :sharkattack:

My hope is to renovate my wifes house in Nakhon and rent a fisherman for private trips and that island was the only thing I found on the map....I anyway think it is too far for a small fisherman boat.

Since I saw the youtube movie from feeding a moraen (spelling??) I am afraid of feeding animals under water. :sharkattack:

Feeding moray eels is not a great idea. I know of a DM in the Similans a few years back who lost his thumb because he fed a giant moray...

Ask some local fishermen of submerged rocks and reefs close to shore in Nakhon Sri Thammarat. I did the same in Pattani years back and had a ball diving sites where nobody ever goes. Not great visibility and quite some nets and lines but good fish-life and away from all the tourists...

Will do so!
Thanks for the ideas.....I think that DM is what I saw at youtube. Feeding sausage from 7/11, but moray have bad eyes and good nose. A thumb which touched a sausage smells like sausage looks like sausage....

Will do so!
Thanks for the ideas.....I think that DM is what I saw at youtube. Feeding sausage from 7/11, but moray have bad eyes and good nose. A thumb which touched a sausage smells like sausage looks like sausage....

Yes, you're right.
And now this DM has one of his big toes on his hand doing the "thumb-function" and a foot with only four toes.

I don't think he will be feeding moray eels again any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom