Knoxville Tennessee Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharpDog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I gather that most of the diving in this area is in the quarries and maybe Norris lake. What about diving in Melton Hill Lake or Loudon?

I am very new to diving but I am looking for some local trips next summer.

Pete

You are correct. Most people will dive the quarries. The two most popular are Philadelphia Quarry and Loch Low Minn. Philadephia is less expensive ($10 per day per diver), but with fewer frills. Loch Low Minn is $20 per day per diver, but they have an office on site with some rental equipment and also do air fills.

Norris used to be a popular location, but I've heard the viz had dropped dramatically in recent years due to increased boat traffic and run off from all the new development.

I've also read several threads from people that dive in Cherokee and Chilhowee. By searching threads, you should be able to find the discussions.

Ken

VIZ in Fort Loudon Lake runs at 3 ft at the most and the boat traffic is extremely dangerous (these folks have NO idea what a dive flag is).

Most of the area lakes have tremendous algal blooms during the summer - so VIZ is terrible. Some folks do "muck" diving around the popular swimming holes and find some coins and jewelry - but it is all done by touch.

Even the VIZ in the quarries suffers in late summer - but at least you can see other divers coming at you before the collisions .... lol

I have friends up near the TN - VA border that dive in Holston - clear water but always COLD!!!

With Alligent Air offering cheap flights to Ft Lauderdale in the near future - it lookd like long weekends down there are the best chance for good diving.

I dive in the quarries. The lakes are too cold and the viz is too bad for me.

I've been to Loch Low Minn a couple of times, but they have too many rules. Ni smoking, no children, no BBQs, non-divers must stay above the hill, etc. They're also only open on weekends and for 5 months of the year.

I dive at Philly Quarry a couple of times a month. I was actually out there yesterday. The water temp was 80deg at 41ft and 83 at the surface.

The viz at Philly is normally pretty good. It's spring-fed, so there isn't any algae. The owners have potluck dinners most months through the summer and this summer they gave away a bunch of prizes. One of the ladies diving with me yesterday won an underwater digital camera from them.

The owner of my LDS also owns the quarry, so yes I'm a little biased. I did my OW certification dives there as well as my DM work.

There is a potluck dinner and underwater pumpkin carving contest at Philly Quarry on Oct 21. I went last year and it is a blast!

There is a potluck dinner and underwater pumpkin carving contest at Philly Quarry on Oct 21. I went last year and it is a blast!

I found out yesterday that the first prize for the pumpkin carving contest is an Oceanic GT3/CDX-5 regulator!

Divers will vote (secret ballot) to select the winner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom