Knowledge development for classroom instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree Andy - I will give an example of why I put my view across:

A former candidate of mine was an instructor in the military (bomb disposal) and he basically said "screw this PADI system, I will teach my way." So he did. And he gave a great presentation, but failed because he didn't hit the points that are required for an IDC presentation, such as a coherent introduction and conclusion, appropriate contact and conduct, etc.

When we teach in the real world, we don't give full IDC presentations for every single missed question, of course, and my argument is that one should look at an IDC presentation as training for an entire course, not just one question. The subject material is, I think, to some extent irrelevant; IDC presentations are more about the the ability to interact well with a class and coherently pass on information to divers who may have very little understanding of anything at all (hence the need for the non-diving contact). Promotion of continuing education classes is great, I don't think anybody could argue against further learning, and of course, selling stuff is vitally important in many places.

It is a 10-15 minute snapshot of the "real world", which is why I ask my students to look carefully at what they are scoring points for and read between the lines, as it were. Identifying shortcomings in students is essential and hence the need for appropriate contacts to suit.

I agree FAR too many people spend far too much time looking for a non-diving training aid, and I've had to fail students because their non-diving training aid/contact is wholly inappropriate: "imagine you just drank a bottle of whisky (here's a bottle of whisky) and went driving in your car, well, this is a bit like nitrogen narcosis..." (True story!)

What I mean by box ticking is that to pass an IDC presentation, you have to score certain points by presenting things in a certain way in order to pass. What you do after the IE is a different story, as long as you are an able teacher, therefore tick those boxes that require it, and concentrate on the actual goals of the teaching.

I could use a non-diving contact as a training aid here: A friend and I took our motorcycle courses and tests together. I was a much better rider than he was during the course, and I didn't fall off the bike three times, but he passed his test and I failed, because he hit all the points and I accidentally stalled across a junction - automatic fail. The problem is that a subjective approach to examination would have passed me as a better rider, but the objective box-ticking approach failed me. This is how the Instructor Examiners have to approach the IE - there has to be a grading standard and it cannot possibly be subjective, as much as we would like it to be.

The final exam, I always tell my students, is not the IE, it is your first job. It is possible for completely useless people to pass an instructor exam, just as in a driving test, but if they can't prove themselves in the real world, they don't least very long as instructors.

Sorry for the long winded reply (day off in the pub again!) but I do want to make sure that readers understand I teach instructors, not box-tickers! :D

Cheers,

C.

I have to agree with Crowley, to pass the IE you must hit all the points that the examiner is looking for, all the boxes must be checked off. If you don't, then you don't pass the IE and you don't get to instruct. The IDC teaches you a proven and accepted way to teach the material within the PADI standards.

Now, in the real world, you will develop your own teaching techniques and THAT is when you really become an instructor. How you get your message across doesn't really matter as long as it is within PADI standards and your students fully understand the material you are presenting. If you choose to continue teaching the exact system you learned at the IE, that is fine, it is a proven and approved system. Most instructors combine parts of their IDC training and their own style to make their course more personal. The IDC system is a good place to start and build on as you gain experience and learn the in's and out's of teaching a scuba class.

When I took my IDC, I already had a background in training and thought the scoring approach somewhat, well, artificial. But I came to realize that not all candidates had teaching experience, and for some it was their first introduction to such tools of the trade. Now, as an IDC staff instructor, when a candidate expresses concern about the method of scoring, I point out that while they will not use all the points in all their real-world presentations, they will almost certainly use all of them some of the time. So look at assessments during IDCs and IEs as learning experiences.

When we teach in the real world, we don't give full IDC presentations for every single missed question, of course, and my argument is that one should look at an IDC presentation as training for an entire course, not just one question.

When I did my IDC and read the explanation of the process, that is EXACTLY what I understood the description to mean. My course director disagreed, and who was I to argue? After all, I was only an ex-English teacher reading a paragraph in English. If everyone answered every question to that degree, the course would take months.

As someone who teaches professionally (not scuba, yet) I'd like to add a few general teaching skills.

1) Pace yourself. If you talk too slow the class will run long. If you get nervous you might tend to talk too fast and students won't enjoy themselves.
2) If someone asks a question and you are not sure of the answer, take your time before you answer. The pause will seem uncomfortable but it feels longer to you then it does to them. If you still cannot think of the answer, say something like, "I hadn't thought of that before. Rather than delay the class, let me think about that tonight and get back to you tomorrow." Replace 'tomorrow' with whenever the next class or pool session is.
3) Engage the students. Ask them questions and wait for answers. Just getting the students talking will help. If they don't talk they will start to get bored and nod off. Just by talking they will breath in and out more and be less likely to fall asleep.
4) Practice teaching in the mirror or better yet to other instructors, your spouse, friends, etc.
5) Record yourself. Put a recorder in front of you and record your classes. Play them back later and see how you sound.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom