"Know thy camera", the 11th commandment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I post this not as any kind of expert but from experience.

A "repentant" member e mailed me and asked if I would post something on this subject. I was flattered by their request and here is my attempt:

A much anticipated dive trip is not the place to learn to operate your camera and housing. Although using it underwater produces different results than on land, the ability to understand ALL the camera's functions and controls is the same.

Prosumer digital cameras have numerous features, functions and options for personal settings. It is IMPERATIVE that one understands ALL the cameras functions and controls so as to be able to get good results. That translates to reading the instructions and practicing with the camera in the housing over and over until you can jump around the settings and options with speed and without confusion. Time is of the essence underwater and marine animals are not usually waiting to pose for photographers.

Jim, someone must have been reading my post earlier about my inexperience with my C-4000. I can only humbly agree with your statement. I am woefully lacking in understanding all of my camera's capabilities. However, I am learning and getting better. It takes a lot more time than I thought it would, but doing anything well usually does.

Amen, Jim! :thumb:

So true Jim,
On a recent club dive, I was diving with my partner, I had my camera preset on closeup. My partner started yelling into her reg and indicating and pointing behind me, I turned around and there was this huge bullray gliding past. My mind went blank as I stared at my camera could not think quick enough to be able to change the cameras settings, not that it would have helped much I would have needed the WAL anyway.
But do agree Jim the operation of the camera should become second nature.

Gilligan:
I post this not as any kind of expert but from experience.

A "repentant" member e mailed me and asked if I would post something on this subject. I was flattered by their request and here is my attempt:

A much anticipated dive trip is not the place to learn to operate your camera and housing. Although using it underwater produces different results than on land, the ability to understand ALL the camera's functions and controls is the same.

Prosumer digital cameras have numerous features, functions and options for personal settings. It is IMPERATIVE that one understands ALL the cameras functions and controls so as to be able to get good results. That translates to reading the instructions and practicing with the camera in the housing over and over until you can jump around the settings and options with speed and without confusion. Time is of the essence underwater and marine animals are not usually waiting to pose for photographers.

Not an expert either but My camera allows me to put certain things as hot buttons so certain functions are easier to access than others. So when you find something you really like it's easier to get to. For example, i always shoot on my mode 2 where my noise reduction is on, and the red is turned up a notch on my saturation levels. My mode 3 Same but no saturation level. I have a hot button for the Super Macro mode, it makes it easy to switch back and forth as I swim along.
I think ive lost sight of my point......learn how to save the options that work good for you.....ya I think that's what it was!

Swank said it correctly. Experience is what makes an expert. I have a long way to go to achieve results as good as Jim and others here, so it's back to the book and camera. There is one good thing I DO know...practice makes perfect!

Jetwrench

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom