know anywhere/one i can get cheap weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't find that I run into much in the way of trim issues moving weight between my belt and integrated pockets, but even a couple lbs of difference between my trim pockets (just under shoulder height) and my ankles will throw me right off.

Definitely a concern, only way to know for sure is to try out different configs.

My concern with taking more weight off my belt has to do with trim. If I had 25 lbs on my waist and 20 lbs up around my bc/tank strap, would I need 10lb ankle weights to offset the "front-heavy" trim?

I'd have to show you the UTD pages on this (they're part of the essentials of tech class), but you shouldn't need ankle weights at all. 20lbs is a LOT to have on a cam strap though. I'd go get a 6lb backplate if you're of that persuasion or one of the DUI harnesses.

Basically though, you're trying to offset the positive buoyancy of your lungs with trim weights. Unless you're really bad at using a dry suit(or it's poorly fitted) you shouldn't need [-]training wheels[/-]ankle weights at all. Your ditch able weight should be enough so that you're neutral at the end of a dive, and can dump it with a full tank so you can swim up (for singles this isn't really an issue, more so for doubles).

Switch to double tanks (and DIR:)). Seriously - it does make sense in local waters. With my 2 x AL80 rig (S/S backplate) I only have 18lbs (6 x 3lbs) on my weightbelt. That's it - no more weights anywhere. That's enough to be neutrally buoyant, even when my tanks are almost empty. Basically you replace part of weight you have on your belt, with something more useful...

- two times more air (enough for two regular 100-130' fun dives) and two independent 1st stages.
- Independent inflation for dry suit and wing.
- much better horizontal balance than with a single tank

Of course it's better to take a Intro to Tech course to learn on how to use doubles.

Last edited:
I think I might start a company manufacturing drysuit undergarments with lead fibers. That way, they won't be so bloody buoyant. Either that or go back to a neoprene suit.

Hey Mark - maybe is that what you need? I mean Neptunic shark suit...

1231_mesh_suit.jpg

Hey Mark - maybe is that what you need? I mean Neptunic shark suit...

Either that or build up some muscle to make myself heavier. Maybe it's a skinny-build thing, but I find that I need much more weight than some people with the same suit/undergarment. I didn't have this problem with neoprene suits, but I had to add 17 lbs to wear the Whites MK3 undergarment. I used to wear 28 lbs with my neoprene suits and a Viking undergarment. Now I have to wear 45 lbs with a shell suit. I tried wearing just 40 lbs, but I was so shrink-wrapped I felt like I was going to rip the suit and the second half of my dives was spent hanging on to kelp to stay down. As for using 2 tanks, I have a hard enough time walking out to the end of the breakwater with a single tank. I can't imagine doing it with doubles. And with all the extra air, I'd probably get into trouble.

As for using 2 tanks, I have a hard enough time walking out to the end of the breakwater with a single tank. I can't imagine doing it with doubles. And with all the extra air, I'd probably get into trouble.

You have to be a young Schwarzenegger to walk to end of breakwater in full gear with doubles and weights...:)
I use a light aluminum dolly - simply load all my stuff up and walk with it. No, I do not take it underwater.

Back
Top Bottom