Knives DIR style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
Alright I'll bite... why are you getting tangled up in a 3/8" thick rope?

Who said tangled? And why would you be getting tangled in anything?

My guess is that he was cutting anchor rope, or something similar, not cutting himself out of an entanglement.

Boogie711:
I think "waist strap" and "harness strap" are the same - the waist strap of the harness. They're synonymous.

Harness strap to me implies the ones that go over your shoulder. I have also seen quite a few people wear knives or other cutting devices there.

Waist strap implies to me the one that encircles your waist.

YMMV.

Cave Diver:
Who said tangled? And why would you be getting tangled in anything?

My guess is that he was cutting anchor rope, or something similar, not cutting himself out of an entanglement.
I always assumed a knife was a tool for freeing yourself should become entangled. To suggest that a particular knife isn't very good because it doesn't do well with other tasks struck me as strange.

cornfed:
I always assumed a knife was a tool for freeing yourself should become entangled. To suggest that a particular knife isn't very good because it doesn't do well with other tasks struck me as strange.

Nah, the whole reason for carrying a knife is for those underwater fights with bad guys ala' Sea Hunt and James Bond.

Either that, or when a shark starts eyeing you as lunch, so you can cut your buddy and swim away...

Relaxxxxxx everyone, I'm JUST KIDDING!

Seriously tho, I've never used my knife for entaglement issues. It's been used as a prybar, a screwdriver and to cut some stuff loose, but the stuff has never been me. Depending on the entaglement I think I'd rather use my shears.

BadFish:
in a pouch to the left of your belt buckle (Halcyon harness)

I only carry EMT shears. but you can put a small knife there also
Hi Sergio. I also carry shears only, in my right pocket of my drysuit. The only time I've had to use them was to mutilate gillnets on the Olympic. They cut through 1/2" line like butter. They are available at most dive shops for $14.95, or at most discount stores for less than $2.

i have my knife on my chest strap. My knife is a littleknife, just 7 inches blade and handle , the width of the blade is less than 1 inch.

Why are non DIR divers posting answers to this thread? The author posted a question on DIR knife placement. Not anyone's particular bent.

Thanks everyone for all the answers. In particular to Roakey, the picture shows it quite clearly. jjsteffen, yes I was mainly looking for the DIR take on knives, but if someone has an alternative idea AND good reasoning behind it, I myself and even DIR divers would probably be interested in hearing it. Yes you are correct that I did ask for the DIR approach, but others answering this question won't hurt.

OK, so if I don't want to make my own knife, anyone have a recommendation on a nice small one (blunt tip, serrated on one side, line-cutter notch included would be nice)? My LDS only carries things that approach Rambo size (ok, maybe not that big, but too big for waist strap), and I'd like to order up something smaller.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom