Knives DIR style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!:
OK, so if I don't want to make my own knife, anyone have a recommendation on a nice small one (blunt tip, serrated on one side, line-cutter notch included would be nice)? My LDS only carries things that approach Rambo size (ok, maybe not that big, but too big for waist strap), and I'd like to order up something smaller.

Jim

http://www.yachtdiver.com/oceanic/acc/knives.shtml

The Oceanic 'Arrow' knives can be found at discount stores for under $20. I found a box full last year at Discount Divers Key largo for under $15 and at Northeastscubasupply.com for $13. I bought one for about $10. The discount isn't always available, it depends if someone is 'dumping' inventory of them somewhere.

Its not made by Oceanic or any other manufacturer whose name is stenciled on the scabbard, its just rebranded and sold under different names. Its close to the original DIR knife.

Unlike the ones you make yourself, the knife is hard enough for sawing and prying, those ginzu knives is a catch as catch can, some can be so thin, it bends as you try to saw through line.

I use my knife very often, mostly as a probe and for pointing so the stiffness really helps.

Deep See used to make a very small knife with a three inch blade in a plastic sheath. I think they may have been discontinued as they are no longer listed on their web site. They have a new version called the "squeeze". The old version had a serrated edge on one side and a smooth blade with a line cutter on the other. It had a blunt tip for prying. The width of the blade is less than half an inch. They sold for $29 dollars retail. You can probably still find them if you look. I carry one of these on my waist strap and a pair of EMT chears in my right hip pocket.

I have a larger knife (and Oceanic Tiburon) not because of any macho delusions, but rather because, when I'm diving in cold water with thick gloves, I don't trust myself to be able to handle something with a little tiny handle. If you're familiar with the Tiburon, you'll know why I like it: It's got a big handle with a guard around it, creating a loop that makes it next to impossible to drop.

Anyhow, I like the idea of putting it on my waistband, but I'm worried that it might be a bit too big for that - it would have to be way over to the side for it not to interfere with my range of motion, and I'm worried that it would slip down.

Any thoughts on this situation? Do you think a larger knife is OK off to the side of a belt strap, where it won't bump into a bent leg? I was thinking it might be possible to mount it on one of the shoulder straps rather than the waist strap (I'd look a bit like an FBI agent with a shoulder holster). I'm sure others have thought this out better than I have - any reason I wouldn't want to do that?

One more question. In the picture from Roakey's post, the knife is shown mounted vertically on the waist strap. The knife I bought over the weekend is configured to be attached with either two straps or it also has two "bolt-type things" on it that allow it to be bolted to a strap. What are you're opinions on that method of attachment?

JMG:
Do you think a larger knife is OK off to the side of a belt strap, where it won't bump into a bent leg? I was thinking it might be possible to mount it on one of the shoulder straps rather than the waist strap (I'd look a bit like an FBI agent with a shoulder holster). I'm sure others have thought this out better than I have - any reason I wouldn't want to do that?
Well, if this was a DIR only forum... Oh look, it is!

No, it shouldn't go off to the side of the waist strap or be on a shoulder strap.

Because you want to be able to reach it with either hand it goes close to the center.

Because it goes close to the center, it can't be big.

This is a trivial example of the reasoning behind the typical DIR *holistic* solution to a problem. You don't compromise here and there, move stuff around here and there to accommodate your compromises, etc.

And, ultimately, for a DIR solution you want the knife to be in exactly the same position as everyone else in the team, which will be slightly off to the left on the waist strap. Identical configurations is a core concept of DIR. It's amazing how easy it makes helping you buddies out in any situation, Frank's configuration is the same as Dave's configuration is the same as my configuration. If one of them needs help, emergency or not, I know *exactly* where all his gear is and how to manipulate it to get the required result.

If you're interested in alternative solutions, feel free to ask outside this forum. There's a ton of good solutions out there, but they're not DIR, so asking for alternatives in this forum isn't very productive...

Roak

roakey - I suppose that's fair enough. I understand that a main principle behind DIR is standardization, but, as I explained, a small knife is not "right" for my purposes - meaning it doesn't function properly. This, too, is contrary to the principles of DIR as I understandthem.

I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem, and come up with a reasonable solution. After fiddling around with my gear for a bit, I realized that there was a much easier solution: mount the knife horizontally, rather than vertically, near the center of the waistband. I think that's a solution that will satisfy everyone.

Regarding posting in this forum or outside, I saw there was already a thread going on discussing knife placement, and thought there was no need to start a new one elsewhere. Sorry if I offended anyone.

MaxBottomtime:
Hi Sergio. I also carry shears only, in my right pocket of my drysuit. The only time I've had to use them was to mutilate gillnets on the Olympic. They cut through 1/2" line like butter. They are available at most dive shops for $14.95, or at most discount stores for less than $2.

Yea i've only used my shears once. That was on the anchor recovery from the
Olympic as well. Bill, MJG and i did the recovery and the anchor line was so fouled that i had to just cut the line free.

Went through like butter......

DIR mounting for a knife is on the waist strap, just to the left of the crotch strap. The knife should be small, sharp and blunt tip.

See here for photo of GI's harness including the knife, knife sheath and knife placement.
http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equip_moreimages.htm

FifthD is selling a similiar knife - check out dive-extras.com and the X-knife.

It is also not uncommon to see DIR divers carrying a small knife & sheath combination bolted to the Goodman handle of the light head. The knife sheath is typically blue and branded Tekna. EE was selling them last time I was there.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom