Kinda sorta call for an ice thingie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Partial team callout for a possible Ice Dive/Rescue

Around noontime, on 011905, a 911 call came into dispatch about a person falling through the ice at the very east end of the county. The caller was driving on the freeway, which borders the slough where the person was reported to have fallen into.

We get several calls like this every year for Ice and Kayak problems. People will be driving along the freeway at 65 to 75mph, look at the water and think they saw something hey didn’t. Driving along the river they see a Kayak flip in the rapids and hit 911 thinking they are in trouble. They will see an ice fisherman pull out a flopping, splashing fish, throw it on the ice and call 911 thinking it’s a person splashing. But, we would rather have them call us a hundred times for a bogus call than not call us for the real thing once.

So rather than page out the entire team they grabbed two Detectives, one Patrolman and the Marine Deputy who are all on the team. Half responding is just fine, should it turn out to be an actual rescue/recovery the rest of the team would be paged out.

They get on scene around noon thirty and find it is only a couple of ice fishermen having a ball catching sluggish hungry fish. The responding team returned to the office just as I arrived to start my shift. They were glad the call came in so they could get out of the office and go for a drive.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom