Kids on a Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a kid on a liveaboard or travelled on one where kids were aboard? I don't mean little kids but young divers. How did they do? How did others react to them. I'm considering taking my son on a liveaboard next summer so I'm interested in any first hand experience.

about a dozen LAs and the youngest person onboard any of them was probably in their late teens or early 20s.

If your son is a competent diver and a polite human being, I don't see why he wouldn't be welcome and enjoy the trip.

He should be aware that there's really very little to do except dive, eat, and sleep. Will that be enough entertainment options for him?

That's one of my questions. I think he'd be fine as long as he has enough books to read--and maybe dvds to watch on his laptop--or if I let him dive every dive. He's always happy in the water. But I think I would want to limit him to three dives a day.

Several of the boats I've been on have had VCR or DVD players in each cabin as well as in the main salon. Most have a magazine and paperback library, fish ID books, and not much else for diversions.

I think on a week-long trip, limiting your son to 3 of 5 daily dives will possibly find him with a LOT of time on his hands.

Hope he handles boredom better than most kids I know...

You might want to do a short trip (2-3 days) to see how he reacts to the confinement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom