Kidney transplant new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isseyone

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I'm a 34 year old kidney transplant recipient for 5 years taking Prograf, Myfortic, and Prednisone. As I love snorkeling, I thought of giving scuba diving a try this summer but I wonder if it is OK to do without risking my healthy kidney. I’ve read of positive stories about kidney transplants who dived after their recovery. Having no experience in diving, I wonder if the experience will be similar to those who were certified divers before transplantation. I would appreciate insights about it. Thanks.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you're cleared for full activity and are otherwise healthy, though I recommend you see a diving physician before you start your classes. Since you are immunosupressed, you will have to be extra careful of marine life injuries and cuts from coral and other underwater objects, as some marine bacteria can be pretty virulent - vibrio is a good example.

Best regards,
DDM

This is late but I want to share that all went well with my open water course and fun dives. My nephrologist gave me a clearance when he saw my ecg and xray were good but wrote on the medical certificate form that I need to have a cardio clearance too. The cardiologist, asked medical history questions and after seeing my stress echo test result (10mets) were unremarkable, gave me a certification that I can continue with the course and do the check out dives. My routine blood tests are normal after my dives. Thank you for your reply :)

I would also recommend having your own personal regulator set or at least inspect them before using. I have seen rental regs that taste like mold and have seen growth of what seems to be Aspergillus inside. This would be bad for someone who is immunosuppressed.

Back
Top Bottom