Khao Lak to Similan day trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minke123

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I need your expert advice on day trips from Khao Lak to Similans,I will be in Thailand for most of April after visiting the north for Songkrahn I will be heading to Khao Lak with my wife and 2 small children so I,m hoping to do a couple of day trip dives to the Similans.I've dived several times on liveaboards but this time the family will stay in a resort while I take the 2 hour boat ride there and back,has anyone tried this from Khao Lak is the 2 hour trip at the end of April still ok? or have I missed the season? Any suggestions, hints, will be much appreciated thankyou and safe diving .

Daytrips to the Similans are typically done by speedboat, so the sea condition will definitely make a difference. It's hard to say exactly when the winds will pick up. I had some clients with daytrips out to the Similans in January--the middle of the high season--get cancelled trips because of windy conditions we were having at the time. I believe the bigger worry will be numbers. The ops won't run trips with insufficient bookings. So I would suggest that you contact the operator of your choice and ask them when trips are looking likely, both in terms of sea conditions and numbers. You can do this once you are already here.

Minke123
Whilst not exactly answering your question I've done it previously at the opposite end of the season (ie end of Sept or early Oct) several yrs back. Conditions were rough and on a speedboat, the 2hrs journey (each way) can be hard esp with people whose stomachs let go! I recall it being very grey with some showers however the diving was rewarding.

Check with the dive operators on their recommendations anyway and as stated already the numbers will determine whether trips are doable. I did prior to going to Khao Lak back then.

You could try a company called "Sea Bees" - they run a larger fast boat out to the Similans on daytrips.

Does not do anything for the boredom, but it's fairly comfortable and food is quite good.

I have been on a day trip from Khao Lak to Similan with Wicked diving. We took a trip for both divers and snorkelers. It was pretty good. Large and fast boat. It took an hour and a half each way and lunch was included (and water). Snorkelers did their first snorkeling in Donald duck bay while us divers went to Christmas point for our first dive. Lunch ashore and second dive and snorkeling at Beacon beach. Overall a very good day.

Thanks again for the latest info fellow divers .
Maggy and Big Jeff I appreciate the update on the boat trip and dive scheduales,so I guess its all about the weather in April,bashing on out to the Islands in a smaller boat for a couple of hours eachway or possably 1.5 hours each way,then praying for good diving conditions, I'm hoping the trip is worth the effort ? I know it is a great place to dive so I will probably make the effort and try the day trip diving,while my wife and children stay in the safety of the resort in Khao Lak.
thnkyou again

Back
Top Bottom