Khao Lak diving and DPV training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM me if you like limpabit, we'll get it sorted out. I have to agree with Lord Khram though, not much use in that area apart from scaring fish.

I hear what you guys are saying. And probably agree it's maybe a once only thing. But have this thought process at the minute, of trying things new. Just seems good at the minute! It's a catch 22. If trying it, don't want to try it in the murky/cold waters of the uK quarries.

In January, would never have considered diving. Loving the experience now. Some things work etc.

Maybe the local wreck dive is the place to try it?

Was planning the local wreck dive as a warm up and first dive. Then open to ideas for other trips (two single days). Was looking at the Similan Islands & Richelieu Rock. But have no idea to be honest. Was going to hopefully get advise from the tour company.

Can you PM some prices for the wreck dive and two single day trips? Going from Merlin in Khao Lak. Was looking for me and Mrs to do AOW course as well.

don't want to try it in the murky/cold waters of the uK quarries.

Good idea.
Again all this would achieve is to frighten away any life you might see. In addition unless you are skilled in the use of a DPV you will also stir up all the silt so neither yourself or anyone else will be able to see anything for several days until the water settles out again. One inland dive site that I used to visit, actually banned their use for that reason.
Maybe it would be worth considering trying them in the sea in the UK?

I totally agree. Probably going to be a once only thing. But got a bee in my bonnet to have a go. See James Bond etc with one, so just want to try one to say, I tried that etc. I know it sounds silly. One of these to try in life. Temperature is going to drop now in the UK, so maybe not get a chance before I come out.

How about having a test run in a pool? Is that an option when I come out to Thailand? At least if after, it's as expected, it don't waste a dive??

I totally agree. Probably going to be a once only thing. But got a bee in my bonnet to have a go. See James Bond etc with one, so just want to try one to say, I tried that etc. I know it sounds silly. One of these to try in life. Temperature is going to drop now in the UK, so maybe not get a chance before I come out.

How about having a test run in a pool? Is that an option when I come out to Thailand? At least if after, it's as expected, it don't waste a dive??

I live just outside Pattaya, and am unaware of anyone around this area that does DPV training, having said that I am not involved with the diving industry, and never dive with any of the shops around here now, so am well out of touch with what is happening.
I dare say if you can find a DC that operates DPV's, a session in a pool could be organised, and would be a good idea, as you say to avoid wasting diving time and the cost of a course should you find it is not for you. Personally I found the DPV to be too cumbersome, occupying my hands, it was something I am glad I had the opportunity to try, but will not be repeating the experience without good reason. Hope you find what you are looking for and please report back and give us your thoughts.

Bruce Konefe is a ANDI IT and can instruct on DPV. He lives in Pattaya and has a SS UV18 DPV. If you want his contact information send me a pm.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom