Khao Lak diving and DPV training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limpabit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone.

Coming out mid January to do some diving. Does anywhere in Khao Lak do any DPV training?

Any recommendations for dive companies in Khao Lak for day trips to the Islands?

Big Blue offers both DPV training and speedboat daytrips. But in fairness, there are several shops offering speedboat daytrips as well as others that have DPV courses. Khao Lak is a small place, so you can just walk down the street and stop in at the different shops to ask about DPV training and daytrips.

Big Blue would get my recommendation as well. Depending on your length of stay it might be worth sorting out the DPV course before you get there or at least making sure you have a walk around the dive shops as soon as you arrive. They may not have many DPV's available.

They may not have many DPV's available.
That's undoubtedly true, but there's also no huge demand for them, so as long as there's not a significant time pressure (like only one specific day to dive) it should be okay to check out the shops in person, take a look at the equipment, talk to the instructor.

Thanks for your help everybody. Funny enough, was looking at trip adviser and and the big blue web site for day drips. But there was no mention on it about DPV's.

Thanks for the link. I'm emailed them with plenty of questions and queries. So much to do and see with no idea of which to do it which order. Asked for AOW course after the local wreak dive to warm up the diving skills after winter here. Asked for advise all places to visit for the colourful coral and fish. I mentioned the Similan Islands & Richelieu Rock, but haven't a clue!

Personally I wouldn't recommend using a DPV. Certainly they have their use, on such dives where you wish to cover large areas of a wreck for instance, but as most of the dives in the area you are talking of are scenic dives, all your DPV will succeed in doing is frightening away the marine life.

If you simply want to get the card, then fine, but first it may be worth thinking about the reasons you want to use a DPV.

It as you said. Mainly to get the card as you say to use maybe else where. And just to have a go and have some fun and try.

I've send an email and filled out the form. But had no response from them.

Hope you manage to find what you are looking for. But personally for me having tried a DPV on 3 occasions, twice in Thailand and once in UK, I found it gave me completely the opposite to what I want from my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom