Keystone Jetty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Bear

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Keystone jetty is still open to divers? I'm thinking about making a dive on the Jetty this weekend and I've heard that there is construction there.

Dive Bear

I don't think there is any construction there yet. But there will be a MASS of divers there this weekend. One of the Seattle shops has about a dozen divers going up, plus there will be a class of six and a videographer (me!).

I was there today. No construction. A buddy of mine lost a fin (Jet Fin) near the entrance in case anyone finds it.

TSandM:
I don't think there is any construction there yet. But there will be a MASS of divers there this weekend. One of the Seattle shops has about a dozen divers going up, plus there will be a class of six and a videographer (me!).

Sounds like you will be documenting my shame then if your helping Steve out. I look forward to meeting you!

I dove Keystone on Sat. (yesterday). It wasn't too crowded, surprisingly. The construction so far has only included dredging and a building up of the sand cliff allowing only one entry trail, right near the top of the jetty. (The sand cliff/picnic table area is about 15' wider than it used to be... Until recently the lone sandy/gravel trail was slippery and challenging for doubles but is now packed down fine. The proposed super ferry dock construction is in a holding pattern while various environmental groups and the state hash out the (hopefully) mutually desired design. I haven't heard anything official yet, but it sounds like things will stay the same for some time to come.
I dove the pilings (the old navy warf) too. The pilings, so far, are slated to be removed eventually even if the state decides to keep the old jetty.
The spring alge bloom (snot strings) was present
and the viz wasn't fantastic. Maybe 5-10 feet.
Rumor had it that TSandM was going to be there.
I looked for you but guess you didn't make it after all?

The discussion seems to swing from keeping the old jetty and building onto the length of the existing ferry dock, getting rid of the jetty and old dock and building a diagonal longer dock just south of the jetty and a couple of other plans! Calling Whidbey Island Dive Center or Anacortes Diving and Supply can keep you updated as to whether construction has begun on the new dock, etc. or not. I was pleased to hear from Whidbey Dive Center that the state had asked them for imput which was pleasantly surprising and hopefully indicates that they will try to preserve Keystone as a shore dive attraction!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom