Keys Wreck Photo Report (Spiegel/Vandenberg)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently headed down to the Keys to hit some of the wrecks down there. I was shooting with an Olympus SP-350, a jerryrigged Sea&Sea MMII lens and a Sealife DC350 Strobe. A few shots my girlfriend took with a Sealife DC800.

All told we did 4 dives over two days on the Vandenberg. We had pretty good conditions all around. There were very light seas so the ride out was pleasant and visiblity was good on the wreck. However, there was a bit of current. If one let go of the wreck you cold be blown off pretty easily. However there were plenty of places to hold on and it's possible to use the wreck to block the current if you've planned your dives correctly.

Enough of my BS here's the photos

The wreck sits at about 140 feet but you can reach the top of the superstructure at 50 feet or so.

2nal5rm.jpg

The first dive we tied in just forward of the bridge on the large lookout post. It's pretty clearly visible from the above photos. After that we descended down to the bridge itself and entered through the collapsed roof. The explosions which they used to sank the boat caused some plate buckling. Now I'm not really doing deep wreck penetration in here. We pretty much stayed in the daylight zone that way we always had an easy way out of the wreck in case of an emergency. If I did not see ambient light and an exit in a room I did not go in.

fco3o6.jpg

2l9iogm.jpg

I just like this shot. You can see the air pockets created by divers bubbles in the ceiling and the reflection they are creating. This picture actually shows off the deficiency in my photo abilities. I could not make the camera see what I saw with my naked eye

2j0eckj.jpg

You can actually see some of the Cyrillic writing used as set dressing for the B-horror flick Virus. Coincidentally we had two Russians onboard our dive boat that translated for us. Most of the writing says things like Caution and Restricted Area in really bad grammar.

16liall.jpg

mbsq2q.jpg

29epqv4.jpg

2l9gt4k.jpg

15nmvll.jpg

23rqrsl.jpg

On the next dive we decided to head a bit more to the mid-ship area and check out the decks around the first satellite dish.

2q3dwfk.jpg

r29mif.jpg

2n0j1cm.jpg

sayzvs.jpg

I had strobe trouble the whole trip so I had to photoshop the hell out of this photo to make it turn out.

This airpocket in one of the rooms allowed almost all of us to get up inside of it and get our heads pretty high out of the water.

10rl4oz.jpg

wmk91.jpg

wmila9.jpg

There was a huge air pocket in one of the rooms. There's something surreal about being 100 feet below the surface and being able to come up and talk. You can't inhale the air obviously but you can pop your reg out to talk to people. The pressure against your larynx makes you sound like a pissed of chipmunk.

28hh4ky.jpg

Our exit point from that room. My best guess is that this is a cargo elevator because it looked as if it dropped down at 7 or 8 deck levels. We just peered in on this dive and then went out above it.

This put us just aft of the first satellite dish
96vtbk.jpg

28l85u0.jpg

2qx3i4i.jpg

1easmc.jpg

We then went forward from the dish back to our tie-in point.

iyj4td.jpg

This was mounted right above the bridge. I assume it's a gun mount of some sort but I'm not sure.

zlx4pl.jpg

My girlfriend with her camera.

Right before we ascended we saw a massive 250lb Goliath Grouper. Unfortunately I had stowed away my camera. Cassie got to hers pretty quickly and managed to get a quick shot of it.

2572lb6.jpg

The picture really does not do justice to how big of a SOB he really was. If I had more air and bottom time I probably would have followed him to get some more shots. As it was he was swimming against the current and I had to get back up to the boat.

That was pretty much I first day on the Vandenberg. I probably saw 1/10th of the ship and I had spent almost an hour diving her. The next day I got to see quite a bit more.

On the first dive of the second day we went back to the cargo shaft just aft of the first satellite dish. We decided to drop down to the bottom of it just to check out what was down there. The shaft bottomed out at 135 feet and we basically just did a touch and go. Around 110 feet it opened up into a head that still had a mirror on the wall above the sink. Next time I go down I am taking a picture of that mirror.

On the second dive we explored more of the area just aft of the bridge. We found a maintenance room as well as the room which controlled the heating and air. After going so deep on the first dive we tried to keep our depth on the second dive above 100 feet.

2d0x6xu.jpg

wwltlt.jpg

xktxes.jpg

2pq9btw.jpg

nfo6s6.jpg

212a33a.jpg

Jacquelyn found a friend! It's a little arrowhead crab that actually crawled onto my camera strobe while I was taking a photo.

2q2fp5f.jpg

so23aw.jpg

zvdhd3.jpg

bdsf0m.jpg

On the way out and into the dock we passed a whole slew of floating houses.

35ldkw8.jpg

One was even sinking
30uxnox.jpg

Next up: The Spiegel Grove, The Benwood and Key Largo Reefs

i love the pics and i can't wait to make it down there to explore it myself, maybe when the snow starts to fly around here, i'll have to hang up the wetsuit and head down to warmer water, thanks for the pics

Thanks for sharing. Nice pics all around.

Great report ! Pictures are great too..

What a great report thnx!!

Had a chance to edit some of the other shots from the trip. These are are from diving the Spiegel Grove and the reefs around Key Largo.

Unfortunately our dives on the Grove were relatively short due to a very stiff current. We stayed in place for the most part on the bridge on the first dive and then underneath the Helipad on the second.

1037nf7.jpg

117w5xv.jpg

j0jm2f.jpg

I think this is actually one of the best photos I have ever taken.

2ch9ldu.jpg

This is the only picture from our second dive on the Spiegel Grove that I liked. We were underneath the Helipad and I was shooting my friend's camera. His strobe went dead pretty much as soon as I hit the water so I had to go without it. She found a little starfish friend.

We also dove a few reefs and the wreck of the Benwood. The Benwood is an actual wreck that collided with another ship while trying to evade U-Boats in the second World War. The Benwood is now a rubble pile due to years of weather and being dynamited since it obstructed the waterway.

9h701z.jpg

2eyxkwx.jpg

33z607r.jpg

2gy0jyu.jpg

A scorpionfish.

taq1km.jpg

Lizardfish

2mo9hxf.jpg

Trunkfish

1zwgnxg.jpg

2ufttmc.jpg

2qna54l.jpg