Keys trip during Christmas holidays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sprange

Reaction score
Here's a question for those lucky enough to frequently dive in the Keys...what can I expect during the week of Dec 26-31? I've already resigned myself to staying in whatever 1 or 2 star 'motel' that is available, and noticed that diving specials do not apply during these dates. I'm just hoping that the divers and snorkelers won't outnumber the fish! My wife and nephew will be coming along, and this will limit us to relatively shallow reef dives. We're thinking Key Largo would be ideal as we'd be flying into Miami and renting a car. The dates aren't flexible as both myself and my nephew have exams that can end as late as the 22nd, and won't be posted till november. Any suggestions/comments would be really appreciated!

Sean

as soon as possible! Most hotels/motels will be filled to capacity during that week. Check out Neptune's Hideaway... great location on the bay... nothing fancy (including the price). Expect the highest room rates of the year, and be prepared for wind and waves (unless you're lucky enough to be here between cold fronts). Water temps will likely be in the low seventies, and the smaller dive operators will be able to accommodate you in comfort and style.

Locals usually break out the lights and hit the springs in the winter. 72* year round, crystal clear unlimited viso, and the splashing around groups with thier inner tubes are gone.

Of course flying in from London there is another option. The BAHAMAS, Grand Cayman, Cozumel ... etc. I am finishing up another round of school the end of Novemeber and I am thinking of a diving get away.. with a margarita for each hand... school + work is getting harder all the time (35yro).

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be booking a room as soon as I find something reasonable...hopefully Neptune's hideaway still has vacancy. Regarding alternate destinations...we all love Florida, and if that isn't enough incentive, we can get airfare for less than C$300 each to Miami, compared to at least double that for other great diving spots. We were able to fly to Cozumel this year for around C$400 (non-stop from Toronto...just a bit over 3 hours), but no luck this time. Anyway...low seventies(!), I hope we don't overheat. I'll pass on the margaritas, but a couple Sam Adams would be great.

Sean

Sean,

My buddy and I went to Key Largo for a week of diving at Christmas 2003.

We ended up flying from the west coast US (San Jose) to Miami on Christmas day and returning on New Year's Day. My buddy booked those days because they were significantly cheaper than other days. As expected, traffic Christmas day was pretty light at the airports. I was concerned that it might be ugly traveling on New Year's Day, but it actually worked out just fine.

We were not able to book into the place we have used before, and they were much more expensive than on previous trips. My buddy ended up booking us into the HoJo's in Key Largo, and I won't stay there again unless we have no choice.

We dive with Horizon Divers and they were able to accomodate us and all our requests. We did Wreck dives and night dives with no problems. Most of the regular daytime dives were pretty shallow, but we didn't request anything on those days. We saw a lot of fish, and we had a very good time.

We are not party animals, so we didn't explore the night life above water. We ate at local restaurants and spent mellow SI's. We did meet Dick Rutowski at a bar right by his shop.

There was a nice fireworks display down near Pennekamp, but we watched it from the Motel grounds a couple miles away. (my buddy is a real stick in the mud sometimes when he gets tired, and he gets tired easy)

The water temps were a lot lower than on previous visits to Key Largo. Water Temps ranged from 73 to 68 degrees F. I had to switch from the .5mm wetsuit to a 3mm wetsuit when it got below 73 degrees. With the 3mm wetsuit I was fine.

The Fish House is certainly one of the most popular and best known restaurants in the area, and worth a visit.

Enjoy! I wish that I could be there too.

Wristshot

While trying to arrange flights/motel/etc, a funny thing happened: all the cheap flights vanished. So we're going to make the 1500 mile drive in my little RSX, and pray that the weather around here isn't too bad. We'll be staying at Neptune's Hideaway from 23-28, which should give us enough time for 8 quality dives. Looks like we'll be snorkeling on Christmas, which should be pretty cool. I noticed many threads on dive shops in the Keys, so I think that'll be my next search. Thanks again!

Sean

Sean,

Check back on flights every so often on places like Cheaptickets.com and Travelocity etc. You never know when a decent price might suddenly pop up. Since you are committed to going, you can just watch for price fluctuations.

Just a suggestion,

Wristshot

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom