KeyLargo/Pennekamp Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone here camped out at the park and/or used the onsite service for diving? It is only 39dollars a trip at the park though it does not look like that includes tanks/air. Thanks for any info.

Tommy

Tommy,
I haven't camped in Pennekamp, but I have been underwater there. I looked at the web site www.pennekamp.com
but I couldn't come up with an answer to your question.
Maybe someone else can. But, if not, here is the phone number.
1 305-451-1202
Good luck and have fun!
:sunny:

just last October. I dove Molasses reef. It was a 30 foot dive. As I remember, it did not include air. As far as camping, I usually stay at the KOA there or the KOA in Key West (actually Sugarloaf Key) Just remember that water conditions from mid-October to March are hit or miss. I have gone and had good weather that time of year and I have had bad weather. The trade off is that the Keys are more crowded and the prices higher in the summer.

there is an air fill station inside the park itself...........I was there in May/00...............and I don't recall one in the park.

You have to take a dive boat to even get to the reef..........you cannot swim out to the reef.

there is an air fill station inside the park itself...........I was there in May/00...............and I don't recall one in the park.

You have to take a dive boat to even get to the reef..........you cannot swim out to the reef.

Hmm,

I'm here now - may be heading over to Pennecamp tomorrow - or down to Key Looe (sp?) - any locals with recommendations? I'll be here over the weekend and would like to get acouple of dives in.

Thanks,
Big T

Try the Adolphus Busch. It is a frieghter that was placed there as a reef.

Hey Tommy,
Happy Thanksgiving

I tent campped there for New Years week, but it was about 8 years ago, so I may not be much help. I was back once for a day trip about 2 years ago. My main memory is that is was unbearably hot! I doubt that has changed. We stayed in the water all day which was ok, but had to get up several times at night to cool off. Also there was a terrible raccoon situation in the campground. They were everywhere. Would knaw through tupperware left outside and knaw though tents if anything that smelled like food was inside.

It is a nice park; the facilities are excellent and they have developed a nice underwater playground. Butch is correct--you cannot swim to a reef, but they have a historic underwater trail accessable from the beach and of course, lots of critters come visit.

Dunno if you are familiar with FL state parks, but the usual problem is getting a site. In general it is first-some-first-serve whivh means a lengthy line at the crack of dawn and frequent dissappointment. Some will now reserve a limited number of sites.

I was diving both times and took a snorkle trip once. I don't remember exact prices, but it was not expensive--$39 sounds reasonable. They are 2 tank trips, but a very short boat ride. They did charge extra for any thing you needed from them including tanks &, weights. It is fairly shallow, but very colorful. Sadly, the reef does show evidence of heavy use. The boat captain was quite nice and accomodating. Dives are not lead--they give you a set time to be back at the boat and you are on your own. They will buddy up any single divers.

Have a great trip!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom