Key West, take dive gear or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Should I just take my gear and rent tanks or just rent everything?

How are you getting here and who are you diving with?

How are you getting here and who are you diving with?

Key West Express and I haven’t found a dive buddy yet. Here with fiancé but she may give me the to dive one day

I usually take my own gear, but I would have to seriously rethink that policy for just one day of diving, especially if having to lug the stuff around during the rest of the trip was going to be a PITA.

Last edited:
At your current experience level, I'd be inclined to take my regs and computer, and mask. Even if you're planning on calm conditions, better to dive with stuff you are familiar with. Decreases some of the stress of having a hard-breathing rental reg at the wrong time in an unexpectedly difficult dive, or a computer that doesn't read like you expected it to. But for one day, as @Altamira pointed out, that could be a pain.

I usually take my own gear, but I would have to seriously have to rethink that policy for just one day of diving, especially if having to lug the stuff around during the rest of the trip was going to be a PITA.
I’d prefer to take my reg/mask/BC, only because my octo is attached to it. Decisions

Last edited:
At a minimum, I always take my mask, computer, and fins. I'll be in Dry Tortugas this weekend with mask, fins, and snorkel. Anyone you dive with in Key West will have decent rental gear, but since you're coming on the ferry, and you can get a cab/uber to the hotel/dive shop, lugging your own gear isn't such a hardship. It isn't like you will pay airline baggage fees.

most dive ops include tanks and weights...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom