Key West site "the bar" Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wanting to dive KW and someone mentioned a site called the bar, a deep reef. Is this a good dive for big fish, drift diving?. A good second dive after a dip on the Vandy? Any small boat / six pack ops to recommend?

thanks!

A good first dip before the Vandy. It gets fished pretty hard, it's where I spear, but yes, pretty reef. Finz will take you there.

Thanks Wookie! This is the description of the site from a post years ago:

"a seamount 11 miles s/w of KW where from 100fsw rises up to 50 fsw . the top is several acres across and you dive the coral rock outcroppings which can be as large as a house w/ caves and meandering ledges. you will truly see at least 10,000 fish on a dive on the Bar. Real adventure diving. often not a boat around for miles. worth every penny of the extra expense."

Is this the site you are referring to? Or is this someplace else?

Thanks Wookie! This is the description of the site from a post years ago:

"a seamount 11 miles s/w of KW where from 100fsw rises up to 50 fsw . the top is several acres across and you dive the coral rock outcroppings which can be as large as a house w/ caves and meandering ledges. you will truly see at least 10,000 fish on a dive on the Bar. Real adventure diving. often not a boat around for miles. worth every penny of the extra expense."

Is this the site you are referring to? Or is this someplace else?
That's the place.

thanks, I'll call Finz today. no spearing for me, just photography, Sounds like a nice site, hopefully the fish are not too spooky. Is this the same as "ten fathom bar" (or ledge) and if not which would you recommend for scenery, vis, and fish populations?

Maybe I'll ask another way: Once I get in my Vandy double dip, what would recommend as absolutely the best dives out of Key West (we are all advanced divers and can do challenging dives but no tech-but more interested in quality than challenge), and how would they stack up to Looe Key which I really love?

Sorry with so may questions, but I really appreciate your info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom