Key West Diving more than the usual questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've read through most of the posts on Key West diving, and they were very informative. I have some specific questions though, that hopefully someone can answer. I'd love to do Key Largo, sounds like the diving is better, but my wife will want to drag me through the tourist traps and such, so Key West is a better fit.

I just think of it this way, the water is warm, the chances of having to do brail diving (a.k.a. quarry diving) are slim, and on a bad day I'll see far more than I do on a good day in Michigan. Assuming the snow is gone by the end of April in Michigan (this year nobody's taking bets on that)
  1. I'm diving with my wife for most of the dives, and she is definitely a shallow water diver. It looks like most of the outfits do a shallow reef dive in the afternoon. This would fit her preference as well as not having to get up early for diving (before noon) :). Is that true or do most just go out if they have enough people.
  2. From the looks of things Southpoint seems to have the best boat. Which is also can be an issue. She wasn't too thrilled with the boat we had in the Bahamas, and a six pack would be out of the question.
  3. The three outfits that look like they fit the bill are Southpoint, Dive Key West, and maybe Subtropic. I'm likely to do a morning dive without her, and if I'm doing 4 dives I'd like the option of Nitrox. None of the web pages for any of these list Nitrox.
  4. Of the three outfits, do they make you follow the DM, or can you pretty much do your own thing? Our preference is generally to do a slow circle around the boat about 50-100 feet out from the boat. Its amazing what you can see if you spend an hour doing that.
  5. Wrecks bore me to tears most of the time. How is the marine life on most of the wrecks?
  6. We will be heading down the first week of May, any idea how busy things are then. My hope is that being between spring break and the end of school should make things pretty easy.
Thanks

Bob

Only one in Key West I've been on that you mentioned above was Subtropic. I like them and the Divemaster didn't make us follow him. They told us if we went on our own what time to be back on the boat (55 minutes I think) and that was it, besides the saftey briefing...

hope that helps. mike

Bob, Looe Key, which many if not most say is the best diving in the Keys, is only about 25 minutes up, so the Key West boats probably do it... I have yet to dive it. In case you need *another* option, the resort & dive center an experienced Keys diver recommended was:

Looe Key Reef Resort & Dive Center
http://www.diveflakeys.com/godiving.htm
1-800-942-5397 (Hotel)
1-800-LOOE KEY (Diving)
(305) 872-2215

I haven't read anything negative here about your list.

One question to ask any operator is whether an advanced card is EVER required, and under what circumstances. You probably won't run into any trouble but some of the operators look for AOW on some wrecks.

We look forward to a "wreck & a reef" whenever we boat-dive here. Wrecks (aka artifical reefs) attract lots of life you won't find elsewhere. Our reefs are awesome, but for volume of life you'll enjoy the wreck.

May should be warming up, and it's just after the "shoulder" season so you should be fine as far as crowds go. I was down to Looe Key last weekend (we're full-season here!) and they didn't have enough divers to fill the boat. Don't worry about the crowds.

I just dove with Southpoint last Saturday (March 12) and have only positive things to say about their operation. The boat is 42-48....I cant remember exactly, but it is very nice. What was even better is that they only had three other people besides myself that morning, so we had more room than one could imagine. The Divemaster, Damon, gave good briefings and both members of crew seemed to be on the lookout for potential problems the entire time. I am sure they were bummed there were so few people, but they didnt show it. All in all, Southpoint is a first-class operator and I would be glad to dive with them again.

MikeJacobs:
Bob, Looe Key, which many if not most say is the best diving in the Keys, is only about 25 minutes up, so the Key West boats probably do it... I have yet to dive it. In case you need *another* option, the resort & dive center an experienced Keys diver recommended was:

Looe Key Reef Resort & Dive Center
http://www.diveflakeys.com/godiving.htm
1-800-942-5397 (Hotel)
1-800-LOOE KEY (Diving)
(305) 872-2215

I haven't read anything negative here about your list.

One question to ask any operator is whether an advanced card is EVER required, and under what circumstances. You probably won't run into any trouble but some of the operators look for AOW on some wrecks.

We look forward to a "wreck & a reef" whenever we boat-dive here. Wrecks (aka artifical reefs) attract lots of life you won't find elsewhere. Our reefs are awesome, but for volume of life you'll enjoy the wreck.

May should be warming up, and it's just after the "shoulder" season so you should be

fine as far as crowds go. I was down to Looe Key last weekend (we're full-season here!) and they didn't have enough divers to fill the boat. Don't worry about the crowds.

Looe Key area may be about 25 minutes by road (on a low traffic day), but it about a 30 mile run by boat from Key West. Since most of the dive boats cruise at about 14 knots (about 15.5 mph)... you do the math. I know of no Key West boat that goes to Looe Key on a regular basis. You would be better served to drive to the Big Pine area and go with one of the local shops--Underseas is good. Looe Key has some very pretty diving.

If you are in Key West anyway, Southpoint, Captain's Corner, or Subtropic are all about equally good. But better diving is usually found farther up the Keys. Key West has 2 wrecks, which are not very nice, but are both dived to death. Joe's Tug, which was pretty well trashed by Hurricane Georges, in about 60 feet, and the Cayman Salvor which is an old cable layer with no superstructure in about 90 feet. Neither is in a class with the Busch (Big Pine area), the Thunderbolt (also a cable layer which has a superstructure and much better encrustation and sea life at Marathon), or the Dwayne, Bibb, and Grove at Key Largo. For some reason, the vis is usually better up the Keys, as well.

The one thing about southpoint is that they are closest to the dive sites and probably have the fastest boat. The don't babysit sit your dive unless they get the impression that your a real newbie.

As far as the dive is concerened. Sea life is alot of the same. I dove with my son and did 6 dives in November with Southpoint and for the very first time we thumbed a dive because of boredom.( dive #6, 40 min dive at 20 fsw) We did key west for the exact reason you are. More for the family to do.

Sounds like no worries, which was what I was hoping for.

Mike thanks for the pointer to Looe Key Reef Resort & Dive Center, that looks like a good bet too.

Bob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom