Key Largo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll keep it short
As you all know SPEIGEL GROVE is upright :11:
So the wife and I made the decision to get down there and dive her. Can you say last minute dive trip :D
So we call Gary at Conch Republic on Wednesday after we heard the grove was open to the public and set up a 5 trip package.
Diving - Thursday afternoon on Speigel grove I don't need to tell you was a EXCELLENT dive with a totally new look and tons of spots to explore. The rest of the site are as follows Eagle Ray alley , N.Davison , Spanky , 40ft Ledge , Snapper ledge , Pickels , Amy's wall and 2 drift dives Conch Wall. If you never did a drift dive on Conch wall you must add it to your TO DO list. Effortless diving and we seen Eagle rays both times along with lots of other critters. Reminded us of drifting in Cozumel ,well ok close :wink:
We had almost flat seas all 3 days.

Hotel - Bayside resort nice clean hotel at resonable rate at mile maker 100 and got a package they offer. Check their website for details. Nice folks

Dive op - Conch Republic Divers
This is our 2nd time diving with these folks and once again TOP NOTCH service with everything from drying racks and gear lockers to hot showers at the docks and freshwater showers on the boat. Captains Gary and Justin are people friendly and the crew's are very helpful. Thanks again Gary & Brenda for the last minute hookup. :07:

All and all 3 great days of diving in Key Largo ( SUPRISE ) only downside was not having more time but I'm sure we will be back. We also met two Scubaboard folks down from Virginia. HELLO Scott & Samara. aka scottm & samara it was fun diving the grove with you folks.

I was down there this weekend too, the water was nice and flat as a lake. Saturday am I snorkelled Pennekamp off the beach and saw a mondo lobster sitting next to a regular sized one in the swimming area closest to the entrance. A couple of fish, but nothing else spectacular.

The boat dive in the pm was Silent World on the Atlantic side; a smaller operation that put us on Grecian Rock, the banana reef for our first dive. Super shallow (35'), little current and 50' vis. The Keys are perfect for first time divers. All my dives were well under 50', which gives you bottom time to enjoy it. Having dove Jupiter and Boynton, it was much more relaxing not battling currents or worrying about ascent and dive tables.

The second dive was North, north dry rocks. A bit larger elevation change and plenty to see. Baracuda and lobsters were plentiful in both spots and I spotted a conch perched in the coral. More fish species than I care to name.

The second day was our nitrox checkout dives on the Gulf side of Largo with Island Ventures, a great dive boat. Plenty of shade and great help. The Benwood wreck was 41 feet and was a cosiderable amount of ship laying down there. The water was crystal clear and almost no current. Some larger fish use the wreck for cover, and there was more schooling in the area. Pipefish were common, and I spotted a cleaning station in action.

The last dive was probably the best, French reef was a slightly larger area and had the elevation change and the most varied coral formations and species. Many lobsters and a variety of fich schooled in their favorite coral or in the crevices. The lobsters were pretty easy to find, and the hieght of the formations gave you plenty to look through.

The water was a little chilly for some at depth, but really warm for the most part. I had a 3 mil shorty on and was comfy. Hobo's is a great place to eat for the money, along with Sundowners just North of Island Ventures. Someone will have to tell me better bars in the area. We didn't find anything. Crusty Jacks (I believe that's the name) is also by Island Ventures, but it's rather small. It tends to have a younger crowd.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom