Key Largo or Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am heading down to go diving in Febuary, and the only place I can afford to dive is in Florida. I have narrowed my locations to Marathon, or Key Largo. Which location offers better diving? Does anyone know of any good dive operators down there? If anyone knows of any good travel deals for the week of Feb. 15, for around 1500, please email them. Thanks again for all your help.

Danny

Hi Danny,
I have been to stay in both Marqathon and Key Largo, as well as Key West. Sombrero reef off from Marathon is excellent diving. Also good diving is found at Key Largo. Of the two I think there is more variety of diving from Key Largo. There is of course French reef and Molasses reef, there is the Deep Ball and there are wrecks like the Bib and Duane.
I have used a number of Ops., but if diving from Key Largo, I would suggest Quiessense (sp), they have always treated me well.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :D

More options in Key Largo, Reefs & Wrecks.
Try http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/
Small boat (but bigger than the sixpacks) & never a cattleboat.
Great Capt & crew.

Go with Key Largo... Over Thanksgiving I was down in Islamorada and we had iffy weather most of the days, to the point where the Dive Shop eventually had us drive up to their shop in Key Largo.... Much calmer. Don't know if the same applies with conditions in Marathon... But in Key Largo you get a nice mix of reefs and wrecks...

On the same canal where several of the dive boats dock there are :
Holiday Inn, Ramada Inn & Marinna del Mar.

Bluewaterdivers can arrange your hotel at a discount.
I believe they get about a 20% break.

Marinna del mar is the nicest of the three with nice suites (1, 2 or 3 bedroom) if you want them, in addition to regular rooms.

You can e-mail them from the link I gave you, or just PM Keylargobrent on this board. He is usually out on the boat all day so don't expect an answer till tomorrow.

We did a package deal w/ Rainbow Reef dive shop. Stayed in Islamorada at the Tropical Reef Resort... Its a dive resort., definately not *****, it was ok I suppose. I was going for diving, so my requirements were: 1. close to the boat, 2. roof, 3. bed. Facilities were good and for the price it was a deal. I wasn't looking for the ritz - so I wasn't disappointed. It was better than some of the other "dive resorts" around.... IMO - Blew away Kellys on the Bay.

Out of Key Largo they also do a package deal w/ a number of hotel/motel/resort types, check out their website - very professionally done inhouse... (www.rainbowreef.us)

The water temps were around 78-79. I dove them in a rashguard skin top, most everyone else was in a 3mm full or shorty. The only time it was really cold was on the boat rides back, so a light jacket helped. I imagine between now and then its dropped another 4-5 degrees so your definately looking at a 3-5mm full suit.

...dove Mon, Tues, Thurs (thanksgiving day) and Fri. Mornings each time. The only time I saw any "iffy" conditions was on Thanksgiving day when the waves were rolling about 2-4' and made for a tough ride out to the reef. As a matter of fact, the skipper misjudged one, and we took green water over the bow and over the top of the cabin we had a pretty good sheet of water. For the actual dives, once tied to the mooring the boat was bobbing a little but very managable. Surge was a bit bad at times, as we had several new divers on board and were diving shallow.

I dove with Ocean Quest in the Smugglers Cove Marina and had a great time. The marina is MM85.5, on the south side of the bridge. Nice boat, great folks, never had more than 6 divers on the boat any day I was there.

We left to drive north on Saturday and it was blowing about 30 knots. Marine Weather said it was 6-8' on the reef!!! Good day to stay on the dry ground.

I've been watching the weather there since coming back, and they have yet to see the 80+ degrees we had over Thanksgiving week. Been cold and windy according to a note I got from Pat (the dive goddess) the other day.

I can't wait to go back to Islamorada to stay and dive for another week!!!!!

hello, we were in Key Largo for Thanksgiving. As stated the weather was iffy but... We dove with Conch Republic for the second time. We were a group of 4 and seemed to have very little imput about our destinations on the dive boats even when we out numbered the others. We would have liked to dive the Duane but instead ended up of course on the Speigle Grove. The conditions were a bit crazy so it was basically down, hang on to the grove and up- lo vis and strong swirling up currents fun if you enjoy a wild ride but not much for viewing wreck or fish.
We did dive pickles, French and some other reefs and saw lots of eels, turtles, rays etc.
One thing it was much more expensive to go to Florida than Cozumel. j

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom