Key Largo or Islamorada ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec

Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend planning to visit the keys around in August. I still don't know where I should go...Islamorada or Key Largo. I like small boats and not crowded areas...Wrecks or not a priority unless their's a lot of life around them...we're both AOW Nitrox..

What is your opinion..?

Thanx

I go to Islamorada and dive with Ocean Quest when I'm in the area. Small shop, nice folks, great boat with a good crew. Some nice reefs, lots of sea life, some wrecks if you want them too. Do a google search for them as I don't recall the web address. Pat is the 'dive goddess' and runs the place along with her partner John and friendly Bichon puppy Coral. I have never been disappointed when diving with these folks.

Just my opinion,

IMHO, they're so close it doesn't make much difference. Most boats running from either key will probably go to similar sites.

As for the wrecks though... marine life loves to congregate around structures, so you can bet any wreck will have lots of it.

Scuba-Quebec:
Me and my girlfriend planning to visit the keys around in August. I still don't know where I should go...Islamorada or Key Largo. I like small boats and not crowded areas...Wrecks or not a priority unless their's a lot of life around them...we're both AOW Nitrox..

What is your opinion..?

Thanx
Why not dive 'em both? Islamorada is less-dived, and features lower profile coral formations, and lower visibility, on average. Key Largo is the self-proclaimed "Dive Capitol of the World", and arguably one of the most-dived places on earth. The visibility is typically better in Key Largo than elsewhere in the Keys, and the high profile reefs and wrecks here attract hordes of fishes and other critters.

Tho weekends can be crowded, the smaller operators are often able to take you "off the beaten path" to less-dived sites where you're unlikely to encounter other divers. Many experienced divers opt to dive during the week to avoid crowded boats and sites. Enjoy!

If you're staying in Islamorada, you can even zip down to Marathon with no effort, there are some great places in that neck of the Keys...

I'm leaving the 28th..Already have 2 trips set up with Captain's Corner! (In Key West)

Most of the dive sites are located off the shores of Key Largo, and thus most dive ops based here. But it only takes 15 minutes to drive from Key Largo to Islamorada (which consists of several keys but the bulk services are on Upper Matecumbe and Plantation). You may want to let you land proclivities dictate where to stay. Most of the larger hotels are located in Largo, but Islamorada boasts some nice (and pricy) resorts. Islamorada has more ma & pa stores for shopping entertainment, Largo has utilitarian chain stores.

They're close together, so it's easy to do them both. But, like Brent said, the better diving is in Key Largo. In K.L. I dive with Island Ventures (www.islandventure.com). It's a small operation (2 boats) and Brian really lets you dive your own profile. Check them out!

Scuba-Quebec:

What is your opinion..?

Thanx

If you like small boats and not crowded areas, then definitely go to Islamorada. Ocean Quest Divers would be better also.
Sounds like this is a "you and your girlfriend" so you'll like Islamorada a whole lot better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom