Key Largo end of February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello!

We are going on a cruise at the end of February, sailing out of Miami, and will be diving in Coz and Cayman, one day each. Since Key Largo is just an hour away from Miami, we thought we'd drive there before the cruise and dive maybe one or two days. I'm not familiar with diving there at all and just wondering if it's worth it. My main concern is water temperature and conditions - I am a wimp and afraid of cool water. We are newly certified, but have done a few cooler water dives, such as Tobermory, Canada in early September (15C/60F:confused:) and Dos Ojos Cenote near Playa Del Carmen (which is 24C/76F year round - ok, I guess this isn't really that cool :p). From everything I've read, it appears that Key Largo water temperatures will be somewhere in between the two, at around 21C/70F. So should I give it a go or skip it? And would a 5mm wetsuit be appropriate for this water temperature? Thanks!

- Dogbowl -

Is it worth it? Key Largo is the diving capital of the world. Awesome diving and lots of variety. We have more dive shops than gas stations. Check out Rainbow Reef, Key Largo Dive Center, Ocean Divers, Captain Slate and more. You just can't go wrong.

:D:D:D Thanks!

5mm will be perfect - Don't skip it. Wonderful diving in Key Largo!
Already booked with Rainbow Reef for 2 days' diving! Planning on buying a 5mm wetsuit too! I researched the dive sites and the depths are really great for beginners - this was a pleasant surprise to me. I'm super excited! :D

Agree. 5 is probably good. This time of year I usually dive a 3 with wrist and ankle seals, along with a 3 hooded vest and gloves.

as you see from the above it's a great opportunity to get you fins wet in Florida and making your trip of a lifetime.

over the last week the 71 degree ocean is warmer than the air temp...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom